HIT A CURB WHILE SLIDING ON SNOW, GRINDING NOISE.

2000 Toyota Camry

hisham202

March, 27, 2012 AT 12:58 AM

I lost control and hit a curb on the right side of the car. Now there is a noise from the rear wheel bearing, which is not the problem here. The problem is the grinding noise that comes starting from 55mph and more. It has a slight vibration that I feel in the floor. The mechanic changed the hub assembly and the bearing for the front-right side. The problem is still there! Then he changed the bearing between the axle and the tranny, as he said. The problem is still there! Is it possible that the tranny is damaged? The noise is exactly the same whether you drive it on D on keep it on N, even if you disable the overdrive still the same noise!
your help is highly appreciated!

2000 toyora camry LE I4 Automatic.

Thanks.

March, 27, 2012 AT 1:13 AM

Making the noise in D and N gear position-making noise in Neutral-have the transmission checked

fixitmr

March, 27, 2012 AT 1:15 AM

So the front hit curb too?

hisham202

March, 27, 2012 AT 1:34 AM

Rasmataz: the transmission is fine. The noise does not change.

Fixitmr: Yes, the hit is on both tires in the right side. The wheels are bent. But there's no problem at all with the tires (not out of balance)
Also, there's no problem with steering alignment. The car does not swerve right or left. It stays strait when I left my hands of the wheel.

March, 27, 2012 AT 2:57 AM

So if its not the rear wheel bearings so where exactly is it coming from now? I'm beginning to get confused here can you elaborate more so that Mr. Fixitmr can take over, he's very good with noises and designated as our ears in here-

hisham202

March, 27, 2012 AT 3:12 AM

I'm sorry I didn't make it clear. The rear bearing is already damaged, and on top of that, there's that grinding noise from the front.
I didn't change the rear bearing because it's not as urgent as the grinding at the front.

So the result is: 1- rear bearing (slightly damaged, could live for a month or two)
2- the front-right side grinding that comes at 55 mph and up. It comes like this "gurrr. Gurrr. Gurrr' where each one "gurrr" happens in a distance of 40 meters approximately (when driving 65mph).

fixitmr

March, 28, 2012 AT 6:46 PM

Did you replace bent wheels?

hisham202

March, 29, 2012 AT 12:03 AM

Yes, I used the wheel from the left-rear side. And the vibration and noise are the same. I called the shop today, they said that it is the transmission.
I don't get it, BOTH bearing are new, and the noise is the same weather it's on D or N. Is it possible that it's an axle thing? Even if the boots are perfect?

fixitmr

March, 30, 2012 AT 10:17 PM

Does it do it if car is simply hoisted and ran?

March, 30, 2012 AT 10:31 PM

If its neutral how could the axle be making noises if its not moving, I can understand in drive if its moving-

hisham202

March, 30, 2012 AT 11:28 PM

Yes, the mechanic told me that it has the same noise if it's hoisted. Let me answer the second thing you asked about "If its neutral how could the axle be making noises if its not moving"
I do that WHILE driving. I go over 65mph, then I move the shifter to N. At that time the car gradually slows down from 65 and the nose is the same as if it was on D.
Please tell me that you got it!

Radiator Fluid Flush and Fill Ford Explorer
Engine Oil Change and Filter Scion xD
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage