COOLING FANS

2000 Pontiac Grand Am

michael1984

June, 9, 2011 AT 8:32 PM

My cooling fan only comes on when I turn on the A/C.I changed the temp sensor I checked the fuses and relays. But they don't come on like the should when the A/C off. Would could be the problem. The car is a 2000 pontiac grand am GT.

Docfixit

June, 9, 2011 AT 8:46 PM

Try swaping fanrelay 1 with 2 if it works off temp then relay if not wiring or PCM. Do both fans come on with AC? Checked fan motor?

michael1984

June, 9, 2011 AT 9:01 PM

I checked the fan motors they are good. And both fans does come on when A/C is on. WHAT IS A PCM?

Docfixit

June, 9, 2011 AT 9:05 PM

Cars computer

michael1984

June, 9, 2011 AT 9:07 PM

Ok thankyou for ur help

Wrenchtech

June, 9, 2011 AT 10:00 PM

I see this question time and time again and 95% of the time, there is nothing at all wrong. These fans aren't programmed to come on until very high temps. It is a 2 speed system and low speed doesn't come on until about 225 degrees. That may seem to hot but it is not and this is the way it was designed to run.

michael1984

June, 9, 2011 AT 11:41 PM

Will the pcm give a code if its a problem with the computer. Because the car is running fine except the fans not coming on? Will it show other sign that the pcm is not working proberly.

Wrenchtech

June, 9, 2011 AT 11:45 PM

There is nothing wrong with your computer. You have proven that the computer has control of the fans because they come on with the A/C. I doubt there is anything wrong.

michael1984

June, 9, 2011 AT 11:51 PM

Cause even when the niddle temp gauge gets to the middle and the niddle goes past the half point the fans still don't come on. Don't the niddle guage should stay in the middle?

Wrenchtech

June, 9, 2011 AT 11:52 PM

No, it shouldn't, as I have already pointed out.

Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Replace Heater Core
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Cabin Air Filter Replacement