LOCATION OF THE SECONDARY LOW VOLTAGE SENDING UNIT TO THE COOLING FANS?

2001 Pontiac Grand Am

jessi12

May, 27, 2014 AT 5:28 PM

My car was overheating so my father replaced the intake manifold gasket. But that's not what caused it to overheat. So now he's trying to get my cooling fans working because they don't click on when there suppose to. But he can't find the location of the sending units. Where would they be or what do I replace to get the fans working again? Could this be causing the engine to overheat? Is there any other electrical work that needs to be done to fix the fans?

Jacobandnickolas

May, 27, 2014 AT 6:36 PM

Does the engine overheat when it is driven at highway speeds? Also, have you checked the fan relays under the hood in the relay box?

jessi12

May, 27, 2014 AT 7:45 PM

It drives normal on highway. When I start stopping n going is when the temperature rises. The fuses n relays seem fine.

Jacobandnickolas

May, 28, 2014 AT 5:27 AM

If the relays, fuses, and fan motors are good, then there is either a problem with the wiring or the temp sensor.

jessi12

May, 28, 2014 AT 5:36 AM

Is there a sending unit to the fans?

Jacobandnickolas

May, 28, 2014 AT 8:45 AM

If I remember correctly, in 2001, there was a temp sensor that was read by the PCM. When a certain temp was reached, the PCM sent power to the fan relay and that, in turn, sent power to the fan motor.

jessi12

May, 28, 2014 AT 3:28 PM

Ok thanks. Hopefully this works.

jessi12

May, 28, 2014 AT 3:44 PM

Do you know where the temp sensor is located? We're hoping we don't have to break down the engine again.

Jacobandnickolas

May, 28, 2014 AT 5:49 PM

I believe it is on the intake near the thermostat housing.

Radiator Cooling Fan Replacement Chrysler PT
Radiator Cooling Fan Replacement Chevrolet