AM I AT RISK FOR HAVING A BLOWN HEAD GASKET?

2000 Nissan Maxima

mariahduckett

August, 28, 2012 AT 4:49 PM

2000 Nissan Maxima with 149xxx miles.

Extremely overheating even after replacing the thermostat. Car has cut off on me twice, but has restarted after sitting for a while. Possible head gasket issues?

saturntech9

August, 28, 2012 AT 4:54 PM

The overheating could of caused a bad head gasket. Is the radiator cooling fan working like it should?

August, 28, 2012 AT 5:42 PM

If you have not already damaged the head gasket, it won't be long before it does. Though Nissan has a feature to cut off the engine when it overheats, it is no guarantee that it works efficiently.

Seems the thermostat is not the issue. As saturntech9 mentioned are the fans working?
Was the system bled of air after repair work?
Are you haveing coolant losses issues?
When does the overheating starts?

mariahduckett

August, 29, 2012 AT 1:05 AM

@saturntech9.I'm the furthest thing from car savvy, so I'm having trouble understanding your question. How do I know if the radiator cooling fan is working properly?

@KHLow2008. As for your first two questions, I have no idea what you're talking about, so I'm not quite sure how to answer. You're third question, however, I can answer. The overheating starts very soon after I begin driving. Quite possibly no less then 5 mins

saturntech9

August, 29, 2012 AT 4:05 AM

Its starts overheating when cold within 5 mins of driving?If so rent a chemical block tester from. Auto zone and buy the fluid for it also. The instructions should be with the tester. Sounds like you did some. Damage from over heating it.

August, 29, 2012 AT 10:23 AM

When any repair work are done on the cooling syste, you need to bleed the air out of the system.

Remove radiator cap and check coolant level. Top up if necessary. Start engine and run with heater on and radiator cap off for 5 minutes. When engine is running, monitor radiator coolant level. Top up if it drops. After 5 minutes, stop engine. Wait 1 minute. Top up coolant uif necessary and start engine. Once radiator coolant level stabilises, close radiator cap and run engine till operatng temperature and stop engine.

Allow engine to cool down and remove radiator cap to check coolant levelReplenish if necessary and repeat bleeding process. You might need to bleed the system a few times to get the air out of system.

As to #2, when engine is cold and radiator is opened, is the coolant level full? Is the recovery tank full or empty?

Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Corolla 2000-20
Spark Plug Replacement Ford Explorer 4.6L V8