MY LX 4CYL HAS NO DASH LIGHTS AND DOES NOTHING WHEN ENGAGING THE IGNITION SWITCH IN ANY POSITION.

2000 Mazda 626

Offthefence

September, 21, 2012 AT 11:19 AM

Ok, I bought this car for cheap knowing it didn't run at time. After putting a new battery in the vehicle; headlights, interior lights and horn work great. However, when putting key into ignition, the car does absolutely nothing. I will say that they key turns very easy, zero resistance. When key is inserted, the beeper sounds off when the doors are open. Also, power locks work but power windows do not. In addition, I did manage to cross the solenoid and the starter will spin. However, it's location is very difficult and I used a very thin wire that may not cary the current to actually engage the bendix.

Any suggestions. Thanks so much.

September, 21, 2012 AT 11:20 AM

Check the big fuses in the fuse box. If they are ok, look for fusible links. Could also be the ignition switch.

Is there any history on the vehicle?

Offthefence

September, 21, 2012 AT 11:28 AM

Thanks for the quick response ASEMaster6371, I did check the fuses (not with meter) for obvious flaws. I even switched them around just in case one was bad. I plan on pulling the ignition switch this afternoon and possibly finding a replacement from a local junkyard. As for history, I have nothing.

September, 21, 2012 AT 11:35 AM

No junk yard, get a new one. Remember, cars are in the junkyard because they are junk. As you can see, I am not a believer in used parts.

Offthefence

September, 21, 2012 AT 11:40 AM

Your absolutely correct, however; I am on a tight budget. I will keep posted as to my progress. Thanks for the assistance.

Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006