HOW TO REPLACE HYDRAULIC COOLING FAN?

2000 Lincoln LS

CSchraner

September, 27, 2011 AT 3:57 PM

The other day we were driveing down the road and the car temp started to climb at a steady pace then the light came on so we pulled over to take a look I checked radiator fluid and it was fine. After looking around checking fuses and relays and such it cooled off by then so I had her start it back up. We let the car warm back up and noticed that the fan was spinning, but very slowly. We then brought the car back home and let it warm back up again and the same thing happened. So we looked online to see what it might be and found that the fan is a hydraulic fan. One sight said that while the car is on and the fan is on, if you can stop it with your hand then the fan clutch is out. We tested it and we were able to stop it, so what parts do we need and how do we fix it ourselves?
Thanks,
Chris

September, 27, 2011 AT 4:14 PM

Once the car comes off of idle, the fan will slow down as adequate air will flow through the rad. At idle, it should turn once the temp reaches a certain level.
If it overheated while driving, then you may have another issue. Take it to a shop and have them check the system for you to verify as the hydraulic unit is not and a very expensive guess.

Docfixit

September, 27, 2011 AT 4:17 PM

Check fluid level in fan pump

CSchraner

September, 27, 2011 AT 4:35 PM

If we can stop the fan by hand do you think it would be the clutch and do you know how hard it is to change

Radiator Cooling Fan Replacement Chrysler PT
Radiator Cooling Fan Replacement Chevrolet