VACUUM LEAK

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

danny9273

September, 13, 2011 AT 1:15 AM

I recently took my jeep to o'reillys to see what the check engine light was on for. They told me I had a vacuum leak. When I got home I started looking under the hood, and found a vacuum port that didn't have a hose on it. I looked around for a dangling hose, but didn't find one. Is it possible that there should just be a cap over the hose?

On the diagram under the hood, it shows there being a vacuum port that isn't used, and I do believe that this is the port that im talking about.

Jacobandnickolas

September, 13, 2011 AT 2:21 AM

Is that a steel line? If so, chances are it isn't a vacuum hose. Can you feel any vacuum at it?

danny9273

September, 13, 2011 AT 2:41 AM

Yes, it is a steel fitting. It's one of those fittings with like three ridges on it to hold a rubber hose on. There is vacuum on it when I put my finger over it.

Jacobandnickolas

September, 13, 2011 AT 3:11 AM

Plug it with a cap. See if the problem stops. It should.

danny9273

September, 13, 2011 AT 3:16 AM

Thats what I was thinking, seeing as how I couldnt find a hose hanging around. But with this uncapped as it is, when my car is stopped at a stop sign, it seems to act like it wants to die. But it never does.

Jacobandnickolas

September, 13, 2011 AT 3:19 AM

That is what vacuum leaks do. They lower the intake vacuum; thus, the engine doesn't get the correct amounts of air / fuel. I feel confident once it is plugged, you will see an improvement. Especially if it is a large leak.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars
Air Intake Boot Replacement Toyota Tacoma