ROTORS ON

2000 GMC Envoy

ben49348

February, 15, 2011 AT 2:25 AM

Does anyone know why I have to have my rotors replaced or turned every 3K-5K miles on my 2000 GMC Envoy? When I brake, the whole car shudders.

PROTECH1980

February, 15, 2011 AT 2:34 AM

Are the actual brakes(pads, Shoes) wearing out every 3 to 5k miles or are you just developing a pulsation in that time

ben49348

February, 15, 2011 AT 2:41 AM

My mechanic doesn't say anything about the pads, so I believe they are still good. But, by the time I take it in for an oil change, the pulsation is back. He turns the rotors and the pulsation goes away for a while.

PROTECH1980

February, 15, 2011 AT 2:55 AM

I hope he is actually measuring the rotors to see if they are even in spec to turn, sounds like you need new rotors, once a rotor is worn out it needs to be replaced with new. Hope this helps

ben49348

February, 15, 2011 AT 3:55 PM

Agreed. He told me how much they measured last time, but I couldn't remember now. I'm taking it in this weekend. Will let you know what happens. I'm betting on replacement this time, since last time they were turned. They are probably out of spec now. Thanks for your replies! I appreciate it! Any ideas why this happens so often? Is it just the POS vehicle causing this?

PROTECH1980

February, 15, 2011 AT 4:46 PM

As long as your brakes(pads) are not wearing out and it is just the pulsation issue I would just replace with quality rotors and go from there.

ben49348

February, 20, 2011 AT 1:21 AM

As it turns out - one of the rear calipers was leaking brake fluid onto one of the rotors. Also, the rear rotors needed to be replaced. So, in the end, both rear rotors were replaced, both rear brake pads and of course a new caliper. The front rotors were able to be turned again, as they were newer.

Front Pad-Rotor Replacement Subaru Legacy
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Mercedes ML
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement Ford
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Ford Escape
Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement Acura TL
Brake Pad/Brake Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement Mini Cooper