Disabling the anti theft system

ZIGGYTHEMAN
  • 2000 FORD WINDSTAR

Van has new battery. Now theft light won't stop flashing and van won't start. Not even cranking. How do I reset it?

Sunday, May 11th, 2014 AT 9:04 AM

KEN

The security system has been activated with the battery change. Remove the battery cable for 60 minutes. Then reconnect the battery and lock and unlock the car using the remote and the car should start.

If not do a hard reset of the system by touching the negative battery cable to the positive post for five minutes this will discharge the system capacitors and force a reset.

Here is what the book has to say about the system reset

The security access procedure is utilized to obtain Passive Anti-theft System (PATS) security access. PATS security access must be granted to erase ignition keys, enable/disable the spare key programming switch or perform parameter resets for the instrument cluster. The security access procedure invokes an inherent 10 minute time delay prior to granting security access during which scan tool must remain connected to the vehicle. Once security access has been granted, a security access command menu is displayed that offers various command options (refer to PATS Configuration Command Index).

Select only the commands required by the appropriate pinpoint test.
From scan tool: Using the Ford Service Function (FSF) card, select the appropriate instrument cluster. Enter SECURITY ACCESS PROCEDURE. This procedure will take 10 minutes to perform, during which the ignition switch must be in RUN and the scan tool must be connected to the vehicle.

After the 10-minute security access procedure has been completed, a new menu will be displayed with command options. Select only those functions required before exiting out of this menu. Once exited out of this menu, the security access procedure must be performed again to perform additional commands.

NOTE:

Security access must be granted to erase ignition keys, enable/disable spare key programming switch, or perform parameter resets for instrument cluster and PCM. This procedure has a 10-minute time delay prior to granting security access during which the New Generation Star (NGS) tester must remain connected to vehicle. After security access has been granted, security access command menu is displayed which offers various command options. Multiple security access commands can be executed (if necessary) prior to exiting security access command menu. Execution of all necessary security access commands prior to exiting command menu avoids the performance of an additional security access procedure and the associated 10-minute time delay.

Insert Ford Service Function (FSF) card into NGS tester. Turn ignition switch from OFF to RUN position. With NGS tester connected to vehicle, enter instrument cluster then select SECURITY ACCESS PROCEDURE. This procedure will take 10 minutes to perform. After the security access procedure has been completed, a new menu will be displayed with command options. Select as many functions as required before exiting this menu. Once this menu is exited, security access procedure must be performed again to perform additional commands.

The PATS system is a little quirky so you might have to mess with it a little. Keep disconnecting the battery to reboot the system.

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers, Ken

-1
Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 7:54 PM
JOELSCHWARZ
  • 2001 FORD WINDSTAR

2001 Ford Windstar 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 145000 miles

Part of the plastic of one of my keys busted that has the chip that starts the Windstar. The chip fell out and I only have 1 working key which is a pain. I live in a rural area where I am not too concerned about anybody stealing this vehicle and I am wondering what fuse would disable the theft alarm and then would the key work without the chip? Or is there another way I can get this key to work? I really need two keys for this vehicle without having to reprogram if at all possible!

+4
Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 7:55 PM (Merged)
MHPAUTOS

Hi,

I have been reading the section on the anti theft system on your car, and from what is in Mitchell 1 there is not a disable that can be done, they start that all systems must be operational or the car will not start, There is a fuse in the junction box on the left side of the engine bay, Fuse No 20 15 Amp, this sis the fuse for the passive theft system, I would doubt very much that this will work, it sounds to simple, but wort a try, pull it and see if the car will work on the key, otherwise there may be a dealer fix for this, something that they keep in house, as it is a security system, they won't be advertising how to bypass it, that I am sure, and failing all that you may have to get a key sorted.

+1