Disabling the anti theft system

ZIGGYTHEMAN
  • 2000 FORD WINDSTAR
Van has new battery. Now theft light won't stop flashing and van won't start. Not even cranking. How do I reset it?
Sunday, May 11th, 2014 AT 9:04 AM

KEN

The security system has been activated with the battery change. Remove the battery cable for 60 minutes. Then reconnect the battery and lock and unlock the car using the remote and the car should start.

If not do a hard reset of the system by touching the negative battery cable to the positive post for five minutes this will discharge the system capacitors and force a reset.

Here is what the book has to say about the system reset

The security access procedure is utilized to obtain Passive Anti-theft System (PATS) security access. PATS security access must be granted to erase ignition keys, enable/disable the spare key programming switch or perform parameter resets for the instrument cluster. The security access procedure invokes an inherent 10 minute time delay prior to granting security access during which scan tool must remain connected to the vehicle. Once security access has been granted, a security access command menu is displayed that offers various command options (refer to PATS Configuration Command Index).

Select only the commands required by the appropriate pinpoint test.
From scan tool: Using the Ford Service Function (FSF) card, select the appropriate instrument cluster. Enter SECURITY ACCESS PROCEDURE. This procedure will take 10 minutes to perform, during which the ignition switch must be in RUN and the scan tool must be connected to the vehicle.

After the 10-minute security access procedure has been completed, a new menu will be displayed with command options. Select only those functions required before exiting out of this menu. Once exited out of this menu, the security access procedure must be performed again to perform additional commands.

NOTE:

Security access must be granted to erase ignition keys, enable/disable spare key programming switch, or perform parameter resets for instrument cluster and PCM. This procedure has a 10-minute time delay prior to granting security access during which the New Generation Star (NGS) tester must remain connected to vehicle. After security access has been granted, security access command menu is displayed which offers various command options. Multiple security access commands can be executed (if necessary) prior to exiting security access command menu. Execution of all necessary security access commands prior to exiting command menu avoids the performance of an additional security access procedure and the associated 10-minute time delay.

Insert Ford Service Function (FSF) card into NGS tester. Turn ignition switch from OFF to RUN position. With NGS tester connected to vehicle, enter instrument cluster then select SECURITY ACCESS PROCEDURE. This procedure will take 10 minutes to perform. After the security access procedure has been completed, a new menu will be displayed with command options. Select as many functions as required before exiting this menu. Once this menu is exited, security access procedure must be performed again to perform additional commands.

The PATS system is a little quirky so you might have to mess with it a little. Keep disconnecting the battery to reboot the system.

If this doesn't work then you will need to take it to the dealer or a shop to have it reprogrammed for about $120.00

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers, Ken
+6
Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 7:54 PM
JOELSCHWARZ
  • 2001 FORD WINDSTAR
Part of the plastic of one of my keys busted that has the chip that starts the Windstar. The chip fell out and I only have 1 working key which is a pain. I live in a rural area where I am not too concerned about anybody stealing this vehicle and I am wondering what fuse would disable the theft alarm and then would the key work without the chip? Or is there another way I can get this key to work? I really need two keys for this vehicle without having to reprogram if at all possible!
+13
Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 7:55 PM (Merged)
MHPAUTOS
Hi,

I have been reading the section on the anti theft system on your car, and from what is in Mitchell 1 there is not a disable that can be done, they start that all systems must be operational or the car will not start, There is a fuse in the junction box on the left side of the engine bay, Fuse No 20 15 Amp, this sis the fuse for the passive theft system, I would doubt very much that this will work, it sounds to simple, but wort a try, pull it and see if the car will work on the key, otherwise there may be a dealer fix for this, something that they keep in house, as it is a security system, they won't be advertising how to bypass it, that I am sure, and failing all that you may have to get a key sorted.

+7
KATHY4SYNTY
No start problem -fixed!
Solved the problem of my 2005 Ford Freestar motor not turning over with no apparent cause. Among other possible causes, my anti-theft system locked my motor up (or prevented my starter from engaging the motor) after my battery ran dead and had to be replaced.

The FIX is THIS - make sure the hood is closed (incase it has a sensor), close all the doors, lock the doors with the remote lock, and then start the car with the remote starter. The 1st time it tried to turn over and start but couldn't and made a loud noise. That worried me. But after that, it tried to start again (on it's own, I didn't push the remote start again) no loud noise that time, but still couldn't start when turning over. It tried on its own to start a 3rd time and stared right up, no problem. I unlocked the driver door with the key (not remote), put key in ignition and turned to on, engaged the brake to disconnect the remote, turned the van off, then started it back up with the key in the ignition and it started right up again with no problem. Working just fine since.

I hope this works for someone else who has this problem. This was the 2nd time for me AFTER I ended up replacing the motor the 1st time. So pissed that Ford cost me that money and inconvenience. This anti-theft system is seriously flawed.
+1
Sunday, November 11th, 2018 AT 7:45 PM
KEN
Great addition to this thread! Please feel free to help out whenever you are on the site :) I would check the battery connecting because it sounds like they are dirty/loose. Here is a guide that can help.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/everything-goes-dead-when-engine-is-cranked

Cheers, Ken
Monday, November 12th, 2018 AT 10:12 AM
DAVEHAPPYROCK
  • 2001 FORD WINDSTAR
I drilled out my ignition and now it won't start how can I locate the anti theft devices wiring so I can cut it
Wednesday, January 2nd, 2019 AT 6:51 PM (Merged)
ALEX_BUENA
I'm confused on why you would drill out your ignition costing you more money instead of getting a replacement key?
-1
BILL HELMICK
  • 2002 FORD WINDSTAR
Lost security system. Security System won't work and neither will radio.
KHLOW2008
Did you check Fuse # 6 (15A) in central junction box (CJB) behind left side of dash.
-1