TAURUS WON'T START

• DEEJASJR
  • 2000 Ford Taurus
  • automatic

2000 FORD TAURUS WON'T START-NO CRANK. DEAD. RADIO, LIGHTS, HEATER, ETC. ALL WORK FINE. JUMPERED SOCKET 30 OF STARTER RELAY TO BATTERY AND STARTER ROLLS MOTOR. METERED FROM GROUND TO STARTER RELAY SOCKET 85 WITH KEY TO START AND GET +12 VOLTS. ALL RELAYS AND FUSES ARE GOOD. THE LAST PART OF THE STARTER CIRCUIT IS A WIRE FROM STARTER RELAY SOCKET 86 TO THE PCM. WHAT IS THIS? CAN IT BE MY PCM THAT IS PREVENTING A START? ANY WAY TO BYPASS? PROBLEM WAS INTERMITTENT FOR A DAY- NOW DEAD

Tuesday, January 25th, 2011 AT 2:23 AM

• fixitmr

PCM grounds relays to fuel and start. If no ground the PCM is not doing it's job. Possible reasons are short in wiring somewhere or security problem.

Tuesday, January 25th, 2011 AT 10:27 AM
  • fixitmr

Are the injectors showing 12v with key on? You could have a bad PCM?

Tuesday, January 25th, 2011 AT 10:33 AM
  • KHLow2008

Attached is the starting circuit schematic.

The relay receives its ground from the PCM and it could be a faulty PCM or the security system is armed.

Friday, January 28th, 2011 AT 1:41 PM
  • DEEJASJR

HAVEN'T CHECKED FOR VOLTS AT INJECTORS YET. DON'T APPEAR TO BE GETTING A GROUND SIGNAL FROM THE PCM AT PIN 44 TO THE STARTER RELAY. I ALSO DON'T EVER HEAR THE FUEL PUMP TRY. PRETTY SURE THE PCM IS TELLING THE CAR NOT TO START. GOT A CODE READER TO SEE IF THAT MAY TELL ME ANYTHING, IT DID- LINK ERROR ! TRYING TO FIGURE OUT IF IT'S THE PCM, PATS, OR IF THE TRANSPONDER ON THE KEY HAS GONE BAD. ANY IDEAS ON NARROWING? SHOULD I FIRST DISCONNECT THE BATTERY AND CHECK OUT THE PCM CONNECTOR FOR CONTINUITY ON PIN 44 TO THE STARTER RELAY, CORROSION, ETC.?

Saturday, January 29th, 2011 AT 12:54 AM
  • fixitmr

Link error can result from a no voltage erase and wont work until car starts again.

Saturday, January 29th, 2011 AT 6:17 AM
  • DEEJASJR

HOPEFULLY I'LL GET SOME TIME TODAY TO DO SOME MORE TROUBLESHOOTING. THE BATTERY WAS DEFINITELY DISCONNECTED AFTER THIS HAPPENED-FOR ABOUT A WEEK, (THIS IS MY DAUGHTERS CAR-HER "MECHANIC" FRIEND PULLED THE STARTER WITHOUT CHECKING ANYTHING FIRST AND IT'S BEEN DUMPED IN MY LAP SINCE THAT MOMENT). ANYWAY, THE PATS SEEMS TO BE WORKING AS IT SHOULD- 2 SEC FLASH IN OFF AND OFF IN RUN OR START, NO RAPID FLASH OR STEADY ON. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANY OTHER SENSOR OR DEVICE THAT WOULD TELL THE PCM THAT IT IS NOT O.K. TO EVEN TRY TO CRANK THE MOTOR? IF NOT I'LL CONTINUE CHECKING ALL THE GROUND REFERENCE POINTS ON THE PCM HARNESS AND THEN MOVE TO A CLOSER LOOK AT THE PCM ITSELF. WOULD IT MAKE SENSE TO BE THE PCM IF THIS WAS AN INTERMITTENT PROBLEM FOR A DAY OR TWO?

Saturday, January 29th, 2011 AT 5:28 PM
  • DEEJASJR

GOT OUT TODAY AND METERED ABOUT 60% OF THE WIRING OFF OF THE PCM. NOTHING APPEARED TO BE OUT OF WHACK. I DID NOTICE A FAIR AMOUNT OF CONDENSATION WHERE THE HARNESS MATES TO THE PCM, THE PIS AND SOCKETS. I'VE REMOVED THE PCM AND BROUGHT IT IN TO CLEAN AND DRY. HOPEFULLY THIS COULD BE THE ROOT CAUSE OF MY PROBLEMS?

Saturday, January 29th, 2011 AT 10:54 PM
  • DEEJASJR

PINS, NOT PIS

Saturday, January 29th, 2011 AT 10:55 PM
  • fixitmr

Keep pluggin away.

Sunday, January 30th, 2011 AT 9:52 AM
  • merlin2021

Two things to look at, one pull the connector off the crank sensor and plug its back in. If no start the pigtail at the starter may be one that ford put a technical service bulletin out on, they have a wire kit to fix it. Look for any corrosion at starter

Thursday, March 24th, 2011 AT 11:41 PM