2000 Ford Taurus transmission problem

RICK4767
  • 2000 FORD TAURUS
A light started flashing on the dash, right of the speedometer with an exclamation point inside of a gear. This happened while I was driving and the car dropped into 1st gear. Until then I have had no other problems with the transmission. Can you please give me your opinion as to if it sounds like the speed sensor gone bad?
Saturday, July 18th, 2015 AT 7:10 PM

OHYEA
You need to get the vehicle scanned for codes, can't just guess off the powertrain malfunction light. Because the Powertrain of a car consist of the engine (with exhaust system), transmission, drive shaft, suspension and the wheels
Saturday, July 18th, 2015 AT 7:37 PM
RICK4767
OK so take and have someone scan it? Thanks for your time. I really appreciate it
Saturday, July 18th, 2015 AT 8:08 PM
OHYEA
Yes, some places can do it for free for CEL. Also you can Check all fluid levels see if it is within the range of where it is suppose to be.
Saturday, July 18th, 2015 AT 8:16 PM
OHYEA
Maybe you might be low on something and just need to be filled up.
Saturday, July 18th, 2015 AT 8:17 PM
RICK4767
I checked the fluids on everything. The night it happened I googled it and they told me about the speed sensor but I will take it and let someone run a check on it. This is a really awesome site. Thanks again
Saturday, July 18th, 2015 AT 8:22 PM
OHYEA
If the speed sensor was bad then your speedometer would not work properly.

With the speedsensor Being attached to the crankshaft of the vehicle's engine, the engine speed sensor is meant to assess the speed at which the crankshaft spins. The device is basically a metal disk that has a serrated (toothed) circumference. In addition, there's a stationary device containing a magnetic coil, which acts as a standard for the measurement. When the crankshaft spins, induction current is set up around the magnetic coil. The serrated edge of the crankshaft obstructs the produced magnetic field and this is recorded. This is what gives a measurement of the amount of current produced, which is outputted as the speed of the vehicle's engine.

The engine speed sensor becomes an important device because it provides a real value for the engine's speed. Since every car has its own specific speed limit, this device is put into use when checking the overall performance of the car.
Saturday, July 18th, 2015 AT 8:32 PM
OHYEA
Some ways to pinpoint bad speed sensor would be

* Transmission revs higher before it changes gears
* The car's transmission engages into overdrive late and sometimes will never go into that top gear
* Brakes are sometimes harder than normal when coasting
* Speedometer behaves erratically or sometimes does not work at all
* The check engine light comes on intermittently and sporadically when accelerating
* The overdrive on/off light blinks on and on for no apparent reason
Saturday, July 18th, 2015 AT 8:36 PM
Auto parts scan for free but if you]ou can't get into any gear other than first it may be a bad governor or sticking.
Sunday, July 19th, 2015 AT 4:30 PM