Transmission Slipping

GLORIA H
  • 1997 FORD TAURUS
Transmission problem 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 140000 miles

While driving my 1997 Ford Taurus, at first everything works perfectly. After a while though, the RPM jumps up high, the speedometer drops low, and the transmission stops pulling. I pull over and stop the engine for a few minutes to let the transmission cool some, then I crank it back up and drive. It pulls again and I get home. This has happened quiet a few times. Could you please tell what is wrong with it and how to fix it. Thanks.
Friday, September 3rd, 2010 AT 10:59 AM

KEN

This sounds like you have a a vehicle speed sensor that is going out causing the transmission is not know which gear it is in. Is the check engine light on? If so they run this guide to confirm the issue.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/checking-a-service-engine-soon-or-check-engine-light-on-or-flashing

Sometimes the computer will not pick up the problem because it is to intermittent.

Here is the VSS location so you can change it out.

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Let us know what happens and please upload pictures or videos of the problem.

Cheers, Ken
Friday, February 9th, 2018 AT 12:50 PM
CARRIMARIE
I know this is an old post but I wanted to tell you I had the same problem and changed the sensor, everything works great now thanks for the help saved me $
Friday, February 9th, 2018 AT 12:51 PM
TGERARDE
  • 1997 FORD TAURUS
1997 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 90,000 miles

I am having a problem where the transmission slips from the lowest gear into neutral when I come to a stop at a stop sign or red light. All other shifts up and down are smooth and problem free. This only happens when the car is warm. When the transmission slips into neutral it is always at idle 700-800 rpm. Once the rpm increase to about 1000 it "clunks" back into gear and jumps forward. The fluid has been checked and its full with the color being pink/red, and no bad smell. This is a part time "kids car" that is used only about 7,000 miles per year. Transmission has not been serviced for about 3 years but that was only 20,000 miles ago. Any recommendations?
Friday, February 9th, 2018 AT 12:56 PM (Merged)
JAMES W.
It's one of 3 things; 1- low gear clutch pack has a worn or cracked piston seal which is losing pressure a low rpms. 2- fluid pump is worn and not building enough pressure to keep the low clutch closed at low rpms. 3- the pressure regulator valve is weak or scored. A transmission repair shop can run pressure tests to determine which of the above it may be
IMPALASS
Hello
I need the specifics on your engine, the exact liter size and the 8th digit of your vin.

Also, please go to Auto Zone or O'Reilly's and for free they can pull the codes to the car. Most important. Once they check your codes, if they find something and you don't get it fixed and need to get back with us, please make sure you tell us exactly what the code was, number and all. Example, if the code was E0568 O2 Sensor bad. Then make sure you give us all of that. While there for free also they can bring their tester out and check your battery, alternator and starter.

Let us know what that shows.
GARYATSELLERS
  • 1997 FORD TAURUS
1997 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 11300 miles

I have a 30 minute to commute via the inerstate, this morning hen I got off the interstate and strted going into second gear transmission started slipping.I checked the fluid it s in the crosshairs.
BMRFIXIT
Run a code check
that is tranny codes
LYNND03
  • 1997 FORD TAURUS
1997 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 123000 miles

Our Taurus GL's transmission functions fine when you first start driving. After the car warms up, the transmission starts to slip -- you can be driving, then the tachometer revs and the car just coasts. Someone recommended replacing the transmission filter (which to our understanding unscrews like an oil filter), draining and replacing the fluid. Yet another person suggested it might be a stuck valve body. Help, please!
BIG_FAT_DOUGHNUT
I have the same car and I have 138000 miles and its shifting to reverse and 1st gear and when it tries to shift to 2nd gear it revs high and the car just coasts. If I feather the gas it catches 2nd gear but slips back out. I was told to check a plug on the transmission that has wires in it and blow into it and put it back on very carefully not to bend the wires in it. But I cant locate this plug. I was also told possibly stuck valve body.
DRCRANKNWRENCH
There is either a problem with the shift solenoid for the 1st to 2cd shift, the shifter ios not going directly into the drive position detent and needs adjsutment or the pump is having a pressure problem form failure itself or an internal leak.
CREEKER
  • 1997 FORD TAURUS
I tried it in all shift positions. Did same thing again without much pressure on gas. Drove back without needing to push to pedal. Idles okay in park.
ASEMASTER6371
Check the fluid. If it is ok, most likely internal failure.

NATEHOLLY92
  • 1997 FORD TAURUS
1997 Ford Taurus V8 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 186*** miles

Okay, well I have a 1997 Ford Taurus SHO with a v8 32 valve, automatic, and it is having some problems. The transmission is starting to idle quite a bit. It will not shift into 2nd gear in drive. It will just stay in first until it hits about 30 and just idles. I usually have to start it out in gear 1 and then shift into gear 2 and it drives fine. Sometimes it even drives in D after a while. Some people have been telling me that its probably my transmission slipping. So I am soon about to find out if that is it. My transmission fluid smells hot though. I am going to drain out the tranny fluid and replace it with regular tranny fluid and a 1/2 quart of Lucas Transmission Fix! I love this car and I don't want to get rid of it. What do you think the problem is and what I should do to fix it? Thank you very much for taking the time to read and respond to this question. Have a great day! :)
BMRFIXIT
Internal tranny failure most likely
check for trouble codes
suspect tranny pump
TONJUM55
  • 1997 FORD TAURUS
1997 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 230 k miles

I have a 1997 taurus gl with 230,000 miles on it and when im driving down the road suddenly the tranny slips or something and the engine revs up about 4,000 rpm and I dont gain any speed. I have the cruse set at 65 on the interstate and it starts to do that. Like I said, I dont gain any speed the engine just revs up to about 4,000 rpm. Also the tranny changes from 3rd to 4th gear almost instantly. I dont know if the tranny is slipping or if it just gets hot. What would you suggest, my problem would be?
BMRFIXIT
Suspect tranny oil pump or internal tranny failure
check tranny fluids if low ad as needed
if not clean drop oil pan and replace tranny filter and fluid
BLAQUEBARBIEDOLL
  • 1997 FORD TAURUS
1997 Ford Taurus 6 cyl

I was told that my 97 ford taurus GL needs a transmission sensor. The tranny keeps slipping and has a hard time catching after I slow down or come to a complete stop and I try to accelerate again. Im working with a very limited income so Im trying to find out where is this sensor located exactly and how to install it. PLEASE HELP!
JALOPYPAPA
You're going to need more information, even if replacing a sensor could reasonably be expected to fix the problem. Without knowing which transmission you have or even what sensors any Fords have, or where they're located, I'd say it's likely you have at least a couple of different transmission sensors and maybe more. Most transmissions have an input speed sensor and an output speed sensor, and I've heard of replacing them as something to try, more as a matter of seeing if it's a lucky fix when otherwise it's time for a transmission overhaul.
Friday, February 9th, 2018 AT 12:57 PM (Merged)