QUESTION REGARDING "CHECK ENGINE" LIGHT.

2000 Ford Taurus

bigryan

December, 4, 2011 AT 4:10 PM

Hi all, and thanks for taking the time to read over my question. I have a 2000 Taurus Wagon, 3.0L OHV, 190 000km. Engine light on, one code, EVAP system slow leak. Unfortunately not the gas cap, but rather the EVAP canister purge valve, as found during a smoke test. A new valve is over $100. I'm just trying to keep the car on the road. I've heard that by driving it with the engine light on, that the computer won't go into closed loop, and will therefore use more gas. Others have told me that this is not the case. Will ignoring this problem and driving the car as is with the engine light on hurt my fuel economy?Thanks.

hmac300

December, 4, 2011 AT 6:20 PM

Some codes will do what you say, unfortunately yours will use more fuel. What you can do is if you live in a dusty/dirty area, try cleaning the vent hose out either with air or vacuum and seeif that helps. You will need a scanner to shut the light off though tosee if it has.