2000 Ford Mustang cylinder 3, misfire

SUGAR132PLUMB
  • 2000 FORD MUSTANG
About a month ago I had a cylinder 1, and 5 misfire code I found out I had a bad diode in my alternator I replaced that and the problem went away for about a month I have all new plugs and wires and now a new alternator but now I'm getting a cylinder 3 misfire code any suggestions on how to further diagnose this.
Saturday, April 18th, 2015 AT 1:07 PM

CLEAR THE CODE

FOLLOW #3 WIRE, IS IT TOUCHING ANYTHING?

INSPECT THE PLACES IT MAY BE TOUCHING FOR SMALL, FAINT, GRAY ARCING SPOTS

COMPLETELY SWAP #3 WIRE WITH ANOTHER WIRE

SEE IF THE CODE MOVES TO THAT CYLINDER OR IF EVERYTHING IS GOOD
.
.
.
HERE'S SORTA WHAT I'M BASING MY THEORY ON

MAYBE YOUR PROBLEM IS MUCH LIKE MY NIECE'S WAS

WELL, MY NIECE DRUG HER '03 6 CYL. MUSTANG IN HERE THE OTHER EVENING (WELL NOW, A FEW MONTHS AGO)--BEEN SKIPPING AND MOSTLY SHAKING FOR A WHILE.

MY FAMILY'S FEMALE PHILOSOPHY: DRIVE IT TILL IT WON'T GO NO MORE!

THEY SORTA FIGURED IT WAS THE PLUGS, BUT UPON POPPING THE HOOD WHILE IT WAS RUNNING, IT SORTA APPEARED TO BE HAVING A REALLY FAINT "LIGHT SHOW" GOING ON UNDER THERE.

WE REPLACED THE PLUGS (AS THEY HAD 'EM ON HAND), AS IT HAD BEEN TIME TO DO SO LONG AGO. THIS WAS NOT THE PROBLEM THOUGH

BUT THE LIGHT SHOW WAS THREE DIFFERENT PLUG WIRES HAD RUBBED "UNDER HOOD STUFF" UNTIL THEY WERE ARCING ON THE METAL COMPONENTS THEY TOUCHED ONE WAS ON THE HOT MANIFOLD

THE ALL TIME AWARD WINNER WAS THE ONE THAT WAS RUBBING ON THE BRAKE BOOSTER---IT WAS GNAWED A THIRD OF THE WAY THRU!

IT WAS PRETTY OBVIOUS THAT WHOEVER INSTALLED THE OLD WIRES DID NOT USE MUCH TLC, WAS IN A HURRY, THOUGHT NUTHIN' ABOUT FUTURE HAPPENINGS

THIS TIME WE INSTALLED NEW--LIFETIME WARRANTY WIRES AND ROUTED THE WIRES SO THEY COULD NOT FLOP AROUND.

I USED WIRE TIES AND I PURCHASED A FEW FEET OF 3/8 FUEL LINE, I CUT THE FUEL LINE INTO VARIOUS LENGTHS--SPLIT THEM AND COVERED PORTIONS OF THE WIRES, EVERY PLACE A WIRE DID RUB/ OR COULD RUB/ OR TOUCH ANYTHING. THE FUEL LINE IS A BIT MORE DURABLE THAN USING PLASTIC WIRE LOOMS

THAT WAS THE FIX FOR HER!

I'LL STICK WITH MY JEEPS

HOPE THIS HELPS

Saturday, April 18th, 2015 AT 7:42 PM