Can an accident cause rear differential problems?

LUV2LUVME4444
  • 2000 FORD MUSTANG
  • 100 MILES
I was just rear ended again. They told me when I was hit 3 years ago that the car was not fixed. More or less, that the shop that fixed it at that time did shady work and pocketed the money. After that first accident, I did not drive the car for about 8 months cause I moved out of state and did not go back to get the car for about that long. I started driving it after that and the rear diff went out in a month. The body shop says to reopen the last claim from the previous accident because the work was not done and that the rear diff was caused from it. Is this true or is it possible to have the rear diff go out from an accident? By the way, the car was parked with no one in it when it was rear ended and the driver of the other car was going about 30 miles an hr. Any help would be appreciated so that I know how to deal with the insurance company.
Wednesday, November 16th, 2011 AT 2:04 AM

You didn't specify where exactly it was hit from the back-at the end of the differential or dead center on it-could have bent the axle shaft or dearranged the drive and pinion gear etc-
Wednesday, November 16th, 2011 AT 2:25 AM
LUV2LUVME4444
It was hit on the L side-driver side back near at the tail light. The bumper and shock absorber were both destroyed. This last accident was dead on at about 5 miles an hr.
Wednesday, November 16th, 2011 AT 2:41 AM
PROAUTOTECH
With those speeds, not likely but possibly if the collision was right where it needed to be. Sometimes, the car gets hit in just the right spot to tweak the rear axle. In doing so, it doesn't line up right with the rear differential causing pinion or thrust bearing wear. People complain about rear whining noise. It is rare that the rear actually totally blows however. It is often the case that the customer can't stand the rear noise, or it has morphed into a grinding noise which makes them seek repair. It could be the case that either accident caused it, but, any insurance agent will remind you that any problem happens after the accident. Which makes sense, because you put more wear and miles on it afterwards. It will never be the same after an accident, and that is true because of the aforementioned. -Luke
+1
Wednesday, November 16th, 2011 AT 5:36 AM