POWER STEERING PROBLEMS

2000 Ford Focus

grld63

June, 23, 2012 AT 5:32 PM

2000 ford focus power steering I believe I fixed the leak in the high pressure hose refilled the reservoir but when I start the engine all the fluid empties out of the reservoir then when I shut off the engine the reservoir fills back up to the cold fill line, is that normal (i do not think so) no leaks detected I did drive it around the block making hard turns still no leaks, but why is the reservoir empty when engine is running

caradiodoc

June, 23, 2012 AT 6:04 PM

There's still air in the system. Most people add fluid while the engine is running, then when they stop the engine, the air expands and pushes fluid out creating a big mess. The Ford dealer has all kinds of special tools and tricks for burping the air. No other manufacturer I'm aware has this common problem.

cadieman

June, 23, 2012 AT 6:18 PM

I allway at it running 1person pouring and the other turns the steering all the way back and forth. Gl ty for using 2carpros. Pl try and donate.

grld63

June, 23, 2012 AT 6:37 PM

Ok right now the reservoir is full when I start the engine the reseroir empties I should add more while having someone turn the wheel or should I empty the reservoir first then add new fluid while running the engine and c turning the wheel till the reservoir is full to the max line. Sorry I am a rookie at car repairs.

caradiodoc

June, 23, 2012 AT 6:42 PM

No need to empty it and start over. Power steering fluid and its additives can last a really long time. If you add with the engine running, and you already see it's expanding and filling the reservoir when you stop the engine, where is more fluid going to go? On the ground. As long as it's not sucking air causing a buzzing noise, drive it until the air works its way out, then when the level is low with the engine off, add some more. That could take days.

grld63

June, 23, 2012 AT 6:59 PM

It is sucking air cause the reservoir is empty till I shut off the engine but I hear nothing bad coming from the pump(i am alittle worried about damaging the pump) and the steering feels ok a little stiff but not bad

caradiodoc

June, 23, 2012 AT 7:02 PM

Add just enough fluid so you see it in the reservoir with the engine running, but don't fill it until there's room for it when the engine is off.

grld63

June, 23, 2012 AT 7:52 PM

Ok thanks

Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement