2000 Ford Explorer back hatch wont open

ALJESONBACOLOD
  • 2000 FORD EXPLORER

2000 Ford Explorer 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 170000 miles

The lever on the back hatch is broken. I cannot open the back at all. The window button stills works and can acess the back, but hatch won't open. The lever has no resistance, meaning if pull on it, it just moves back and forth. I cannot access my spare tire, because in the panel enclosed in the hatch is another lever to lower my spare tire. Please help

Saturday, May 22nd, 2010 AT 7:51 AM

Either the linkage came off, or where it mounts to the handle broke. You need to get in the back of the vehicle (inside) and remove the pannel so you can gain access to the handle and determine what happened. THere are screws that need removed and plastic clips between the panel and the door.

Let me know what you find.

Saturday, May 22nd, 2010 AT 9:54 PM
ALJESONBACOLOD

Cannot fully remove the rear panel. I can look inside and see that the yellow clip attach to the handle is broken. How can I open the hatch even though I cannot take off the panel?

Monday, December 5th, 2011 AT 10:34 PM
2CARPROS KEN

Hey Aljesonbacolod,

You must remove the panel even if it means breaking it, there is nothing you can do the panel must come off.

Please let us know happens so it will help others.

Best, Ken

Friday, December 2nd, 2016 AT 5:30 PM