Rear window washer does not function

CAMPC
  • 2008 FORD EXPLORER
When I select the rear window washer, I can hear the pump run, and it appears the fluid level in the reservoir is going down, but nothing comes out, nor is there any fluid on the ground. What is the routing of the hose? I see it disappear near the junction of the right front inner fender and firewall. The front washers work fine.
Tuesday, October 25th, 2016 AT 3:59 PM

It will more than like run on body and or frame to rear of truck then back into body/door. Sorry, we have no pictures of that.
+1
Tuesday, October 25th, 2016 AT 4:37 PM
CAMPC
Well, yes, it would have to. I will have to crawl under and see if I can spot it. It comes out of the body under the rear hatch on the right side, where a short piece of rubber tubing goes back into the body to the third brake light, so at some point it does go into the body. My concern of course is I am spewing fluid internally where it can cause corrosion?
Thanks for the quick reply! I will post back when I look into it. Likely this weekend.
Tuesday, October 25th, 2016 AT 5:42 PM
Best way for this as you probably know is to have some one use the squirt-er to see if you see fluid dripping someplace. If any sharp metal under hood check there as well as it may be leaking at bottom of tank or close to it. I had same thing happen to me.
Wednesday, October 26th, 2016 AT 6:25 AM
CAMPC
Fixed:
Nice day Saturday, so I crawled under the truck and tried to follow the line. Looking along and around the passenger side frame rail, I found the hard lines for the rear heater/ac run there, but no rubber hoses. Hmmmm
-Then I got smart: Thinking that since no fluid shows up on the ground the issue is most likely at one end or the other. I pulled the 3rd brake light off and disconnected the hose to the washer head. Sucking on the hose revealed no open line, (and no fluid) so I hung the hose out disconnected from the head, and ran the rear washer. A few seconds later I got some questionable looking fluid out, so I ran it long enough to know I had purged the line of old fluid. Since I've found heads plugged in other vehicles over the years, I blew through the head but found nothing indicative of a blockage.
I connected and reinstalled the brake light assy and it now works fine. So, no smoking gun, but perhaps some foreign material in the line or contaminated fluid was blocking the spray head orifice. It s a new vehicle to me, so no idea of its previous care or history.

Thanks for your help HMAC!
Monday, October 31st, 2016 AT 11:56 AM
A lot of tims even front washers do that and normally I take a fine wire and run into the spray head, not sure if the alcohol dries up and causes it but least you have it fixed. Btw the line would run in or on the body not the frame.
Monday, October 31st, 2016 AT 12:00 PM