IDLES UP AND DOWN AT A STOP AND THEN DIES

2000 Dodge Stratus

MissPip21

September, 13, 2011 AT 1:16 PM

I've been having a problem for a few weeks now and have had two mechanics look at my car. When I come to a stop, the RPMs start to jump ranging from just over 1000 - 500 PRMs and eventually just dies. The car restarts fine but will sometimes have a high idle right after. I've also noticed that when I drive under 30mph, it seems to jump a little like it doesn't know what speed it wants to do.

I've already had the hoses replaced so there shouldn't be any vacuum leaks. The throttle has been cleaned, but not replaced. I've also been adding fuel injector cleaner to my gas. I've also replaced all of the spark plugs, wires, and gaskets. Whenever I seem to have the car looked at, it runs great for a day or two but then acts up again. So it ran great after I changed the hoses then acted up again. Then it ran great after I added fuel injector cleaner then acted up again. Then it ran great for several days after I cleaned the throttle but is acting up again. I don't have the money to replace everything so I'm trying to narrow it down. Please let me know what you suggest.

September, 13, 2011 AT 5:49 PM

I think you have vacuum issues. Common leaks at the intake manifold will give the results you have. Have a shop do a smoke test on the intake to look for leaks. At least you will find out what it is so you can repair it if you have the confidence to do it.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars
Clean Idle Air Control Ford Super Duty 5.4L
Easily Clean Your Throttle Bore Like a Pro