MY DAUGHTERS DODGE DIED WHILE JUMP STARTING ...

2000 Dodge Stratus

wynnmom903

October, 29, 2012 AT 7:30 PM

My daughter's Dodge died while jump starting another vehicle and now it will crank but will not fire. Have put 5 gallons of gas just in case fuel was empty, but nothing. Can someone please help. Thank you.

caradiodoc

October, 31, 2012 AT 10:27 AM

First check for diagnostic fault codes. They will indicate the circuit or system that needs further diagnosis. There's a page on this site on how to do that. I'll describe it for you if you can't find it. Check if the automatic shutdown (ASD) relay is turning on during cranking. The easiest way to do that is to measure the voltage at the ignition coil or any injector on the wire that is the same color at all those places. That's usually a dark green wire with an orange stripe. You should see 12 volts there for only one second after turning on the ignition switch, then it must come back during engine rotation, (cranking or running). If it does not, suspect the crankshaft position sensor or the camshaft position sensor.

Jump-starting another car should not be related unless, (possibly) it was a GM product.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz