LOW IDLE

2000 Dodge Intrepid

mannny76

October, 17, 2011 AT 6:26 PM

I have 2000 dodge intrepid 2.7 engine and it runs very smooth but two days ago it started giving me this low rpm when I release the gas pedal while driving, it drops to 400 rpm and most of the times the engine turns off especially when I am going to stop, I was thinking to replace the throttle position sensor and clean the egr valve but dont want to be just guessing so please give some advise (no check engine light)

caradiodoc

October, 17, 2011 AT 6:37 PM

Sounds like the battery might have been disconnected or run dead recently. If so, the Engine Computer lost its memory and has to relearn "minimum throttle" before it will know when it must be in control of idle speed. It also might not give you the normal "idle flare-up" to 1500 rpm when you start the engine. To meet the conditions for the relearn to take place, drive at highway speed with the engine warmed up, then coast for at least seven seconds without touching the brake or gas pedals.

Wrenchtech

October, 17, 2011 AT 6:42 PM

Here's where I would start
First eliminate all vacuum or air leaks in the system. You may have a bad IAC ( idle air control) but try cleaning the throttle body first. Remove the intake snorkel, have someone hold the throttle wide open for you and scrub the back side of the throttle plate and surrounding bore with an old tooth brush and some carb cleaner. Be sure to spray some into the small holes next to the throttle plate. That should help stabilize the idle. If it still has a problem, replace the IAC.

fromthebeach

October, 25, 2011 AT 1:51 AM

I have the same engine and all I did was cleaned all the connectors, sensors and checked the wires over claened the posts on the battery and it all stoped I reccomend this to be done on all cars. And it was running relly bad stalle and chugged like it was out of gas !

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars