ENGINE WILL NOT START UP AND RUN

• Lonnie1168
  • 2000 Dodge Intrepid

I have a 2000 dodge intrepid 2.7L that will not start. It turns over good it just will not fire/ start. I replaced the plugs and the crankshaft position sensor. There is 12 volts to the plug coils and they do have spark (though it seems weak to me). Car was originally stalling out while driving but would restart then finally it did not start at all.

Please Help :-)

Saturday, November 19th, 2011 AT 9:39 PM

• billymac

Hi check the fuel pressure. Do you have spark?

Saturday, November 19th, 2011 AT 9:46 PM
  • rebuilder9

Have you scanned the car?I have put many cam sensors in and they are famous for timing chain jumping due to tensioner problems, like lack of oil changes

Saturday, November 19th, 2011 AT 10:46 PM
  • Lonnie1168

I took the fuel line apart and turned the key and the fuel pump engaged and pumped fuel. As for the spark I put a plug up against the exhaust and turned the car over. I had spark but as mentioned it seemed weak compared to other times I had done this.

Sunday, November 20th, 2011 AT 6:34 PM
  • Lonnie1168

Do not have anything to scan the car with. Is there any other way to check?

Sunday, November 20th, 2011 AT 6:52 PM
  • billymac

Crank car over watch tachometor if tach is moving you then have ref signal.

Sunday, November 20th, 2011 AT 10:03 PM
  • Lonnie1168

What do you mean by ref signal? If I have it or do not what is my next step? Thanks

Wednesday, November 23rd, 2011 AT 1:50 AM
  • billymac

Well a ref signal is a 5 volt signal is what is sent from the crank sensor to the ecm this will cause the tach to read rpms. So if your rpm guage moves when eng is cranked then crank sensor is not the prob.

So if you have tach. Next step is scan for codes. Ypu say you have no way to scan. Turn ignition switch off and on three times. Count the flashes of the check engine light. If this vehicle has the capability this will retrieve codes.

So according to your diag the problem seems to be weak spark. This would indicate a weak ignition coil.

Wednesday, November 23rd, 2011 AT 1:18 PM