2000 Dodge Durango no heat

UPSTATEDODGE2000
  • 2000 DODGE DURANGO
All the blowers work. Antifreeze is full. The a/c works in summer. And so does the heat. But heat doesn't work now that it's wintertime. And it's been well below zero here in Upstate NY.I have let it run for 2+ hours in my driveway, after driving through town to "warm it up". Nothing. Still cold.I don't have a lot of money to have the dash pulled apart by one of the dealers around here who rip people off (known fact locally). Is there something I can try FIRST to see if the problem is a small quick fix before just shelling out for another vehicle.I really love my truck. If there is nothing small to try first.I may just have to buy the small portable car heater/defroster I saw in a catalog. LOL. Thanks for any help you can give me.P.S. I would like to do it myself, as I have been trying to be totally independent from men as they don't think a woman can fix her own truck.I want to rove them so totally wrong. :-) Thanks again. Copperdragon
Monday, January 26th, 2015 AT 11:48 AM

Very interesting. Here in the middle of Wisconsin we have a bunch of very reputable new-car dealers, and two well-known crooks. One is the local Chevy dealer and one is an independent repair shop. Those two stay in business by constantly looking for new customers. I worked for a very nice family that owns four Chrysler dealerships. We traded service manuals with the GMC dealer down the road and what used to be a pretty nice Ford dealership until the crook bought them out. We had a nice import dealer too. We did a lot or repairs on each others trade-in cars.

Also, three of my top students were girls, and the guys had a lot of respect for them. It's common around here to find lady mechanics.

For your problem, start by feeling the radiator hose after the engine is warmed up. It should be too hot to hold onto for very long. If it is not, suspect the thermostat. If it is, feel the two heater hoses. If they're cool, the heater core could be plugged, but first look for a water control valve that isn't opening. If the heater core is plugged, those can usually be cleared by running water through them from a garden hose.
Monday, January 26th, 2015 AT 12:14 PM
UPSTATEDODGE2000
Radiator hose is hot. Not sure where the heater hoses are. And where the control valve would be. And thank you for answering. And giving me some hope that women are doing great in the field of mechanics.I have also wondered if the flow control valve lever is in the off position. Possibly after the flush and refill it may have been left off. Where do I find that? I have looked at many diagrams but cant seem to put my fingers on it.I would like to try everything that I can do before really having to take it to spend 7-9 hours having someone pull the dash apart only to find it was a very simple fix. The next thing I will try is the thermostat if the control lever isnt the problem. And then the heater core. Thank you again for your help.I truly appreciate it. Copperdragon
Tuesday, January 27th, 2015 AT 9:27 AM
UPSTATEDODGE2000
Heater hoses are warm. The two that come from engine block through to the inside under dash. My next try is the control valve. THATS the one I can't get a good image of from the internet
Tuesday, January 27th, 2015 AT 9:56 AM
You may not have a water valve, but if you do, it's inline with one of the heater hoses. Years ago they had a cable running to them from the controls on the dash. Today they're run by a vacuum motor and will have a small vacuum hose going to it.

If the heater hoses are just as hot as the radiator hose, coolant is circulating through the heater core, and the temperature door in the heater box is suspect. Look for a cable from the temperature lever that is slipping on the door's lever, or a vacuum hose that is disconnected or leaking.

The temperature door can be rusted in the "cold" position too. That's when a cable-operated lever seems to work, but actually where that cable connects to the door's lever is supposed to slide somewhat freely. That is the self-adjusting feature, but when the door is stuck, the cable slides back and forth in the adjustment without moving the door. This problem usually shows up in winter after the door has been in the "cold" position all summer and had a chance for the metal hinge pin to rust.

If the heater hoses are not as hot as the radiator hose, the heater core could be plugged. To clear it, remove one of the heater hoses from the engine, and the radiator cap, then run water into the hose from a garden hose. If the water doesn't flow freely after a few seconds, it may be necessary to remove the other hose and run the water the other way.
Tuesday, January 27th, 2015 AT 6:10 PM