2000 Dodge 4.7

CHRISBACC84
  • 2000 DODGE DURANGO
WILL NOT IDLE. EXAUST SMELLS LIKE GAS. Cylinders 1-2-3-4 are not firing. Cylinders 5-6-7-8 work. I switched the coil packs front to back, same thing. No check engine light but it runs like crap.
Thursday, February 24th, 2011 AT 1:10 AM

JCNINJA636
Did you check and/or switch the spark plugs? And plug wires?
Thursday, February 24th, 2011 AT 3:26 AM
CHRISBACC84
Head Gaskets are 1 month old as well as the spark plugs. There are no wires, the coil packs connect directly to the spark plugs. When I checked the spark plugs, cylinders 1-4 are wet and smell like gas. Cylinders 5-8 are soot covered.
+3
Thursday, February 24th, 2011 AT 3:46 AM
JCNINJA636
Perform spark check on coil packs/stick coils and replace all spark plugs.
Possible faulty coils/stick coils on cyl 1-4.
After check post findings for more diag.
+1
Thursday, February 24th, 2011 AT 4:10 AM
CHRISBACC84
Stick coils check out good on all eight cylinders. Is it possible that the PCM is bad? Or maybe injectors 1-4 are stuck open? Also I had a timing chain set installed after the problem started, but there in no change in the way the truck runs.
+1
Thursday, February 24th, 2011 AT 4:44 AM
RIYAD614
I have a 2002 durango 4.7 with the same exact problem and I did a timming chains on it and new plugs and still missing really bad. Did you get yours fixed
+1
Thursday, February 24th, 2011 AT 10:07 PM
JCNINJA636
The pcm does control spark, but it is odd that you'd lose that number of cylinders.
Have you tried putting a scanner on it? I have seen before that a check engine light is not on but there were still codes (either pcm signal to dash is damaged, or engine light is burnt/faulty).
It's been a while since I worked on a hemi, are cyl 1-4 on the driver side?

Also test power to coils with engine cranking.
Unplug all coils and attached battey charger/tender.
Test power to one of each coil connector. Attach positive lead of volt meter to coil and negative lead of meter to chassis ground (I can't remember the color of the wire for the power to the coil, so you'll have to test for power to both wires). Test known good coil connector (from cyl that fire 5-8 to know the correct power wire) and then test bad connector (from cyl that do not fire 1-4). You should see a 12-14v power to them.
If power is good then suspect faulty coil/stick coil.
If no power, check fuses throughly (visual and ohm check). If no bad fuses then possible faulty pcm/ecu.
After tests report findings back. (Include wire colors tested)
+1
Friday, February 25th, 2011 AT 1:29 AM
CHRISBACC84
Cylinders 1-3-5-7 are on the drivers side. First I checked for continuity between the primary and secondary circuts on all ciols and found 0.0 omhs. Then I found constant 13.5 v on the negitive side by putting red lead of volt meter to positive power. On positive side of coil connecter I got a intermitent reading from 5.2v-10.6v. Each coil has different colored wires. If the PCM did quit I don't think then truck would run at all. Would a comperesion test be in order to see if there is proper conditions for smooth idle?
Friday, February 25th, 2011 AT 5:42 AM