I STARTED THE TRUCK UP THIS AFTERNOON AMP IT ...

2000 Dodge Dakota

carlseitz

February, 2, 2013 AT 12:03 AM

I started the truck up this afternoon & it started right up, but when I take my foot off the pedal it dies. If I maintain the idle speed it continues to run properly, but take the foot off the pedal & it dies. In other words, it will not maintain the idle speed. It has good gas & now I just tried it 3 times and it ran o.K, except the idle speed was only 600 rpm. The label on the hood say's the idle speed is preset at the factory & Haynes Repair Manual fails to show me how to set the idle speed. Thanks for any help you can give.

saturntech9

February, 2, 2013 AT 12:16 AM

Does it run normal driving down the road?Have you checked for codes yet?Also the computer sets the idleyyou don't adjust it.

carlseitz

February, 2, 2013 AT 12:49 AM

Yes it ran fine, but still 600 rpm ideling. I atill don't understand why it's running now, because I tried for an hour & a half trying to start it this afternoon. I was always going to get a code checker, but I haven't yet. So I guess I have a bad computer or at least erratic?

saturntech9

February, 2, 2013 AT 1:34 AM

I don't think you have a bad computer take it to a auto parts store and have it scanned for codes. Let me know the exact code numbers not code descriptions? You could try tapping on the idle air control valve at idle see if the idle increases?Also you could try cleaning the idle air control valve?

carlseitz

February, 2, 2013 AT 4:26 AM

O.K. When ever I have a chance, as I will need someone to follow me. I'm recovering from a year's ago major stroke.

caradiodoc

February, 2, 2013 AT 11:15 AM

Just go out and drive it. If the battery was disconnected or run dead recently, the Engine Computer has to relearn "minimum throttle" before it will know when it has to be in control of idle speed. Until then you also won't get the nice idle flare-up to 1500 rpm when you start it.

To meet the conditions for the relearn to take place, drive at highway speed with the engine warmed up, then coast for at least seven seconds without touching the pedals.

(Hi saturntech9. Happy Saturday to you).

saturntech9

February, 2, 2013 AT 2:51 PM

Thanks for the assist just fund out it sat fr a while happpy sat to you too my friend.

carlseitz

February, 2, 2013 AT 3:59 PM

I too had a dead battery, by leaving the parking lights on. I had'nt driven it after chargeing it & my computer has to relearn the idle speed also. So, I'm sure that this was the problem all along. Thanks for your help & all the info I was never aware of.

saturntech9

February, 3, 2013 AT 1:30 AM

Your welcome keep me posted?

carlseitz

February, 3, 2013 AT 2:22 AM

O.K. &Amp; I will try it tomorrow before or after the Super Bowl.

carlseitz

February, 4, 2013 AT 10:25 PM

Tried it yesterday and everything is fine now! So thank you again for solving my problem. It has been a pleasure working with you. Bye!

Replace Rear Brake Pad-Rotor Subaru Legacy
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Toyota
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chrysler PT
Oil Change and Filter Dodge Nitro
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front