ELECTRICAL

2000 Dodge Dakota

samcgregor

July, 22, 2011 AT 7:10 PM

Dodge Dakota 2000, 4.7L, 4WD, New Alternator and New Battery. Having difficulty starting and keeping running. Feedback on radio is like electrical chirping, and when driving Volt meter goes all the way right to 18 volts, and it returns to normal in idle. Wondering if I got a bad alternator? Any thoughts. Currently will not start without a jump. Takes several tries before it stays running.

saturntech9

July, 22, 2011 AT 7:18 PM

Was your other alternator making the volt meter go that high?Why did you change it?Have you had the battery tested?Did you make sure the battery cables are clean and tight?Sounds like it could be a bad alternator.

samcgregor

July, 22, 2011 AT 7:20 PM

Thanks for the response. Tested the last alternator and it came up bad, but was not doing the noise thing, or any other behaviors like this. New battery and connections are tight. Last battery was bad after the alternator change. (Wal mart battery - hate them!) The Volt Meter thing is new before and after battery switch out.

saturntech9

July, 22, 2011 AT 7:25 PM

Yeah iam not a fan of the walmart batteries havent had much luck with them so you didnt have them test the new alternator before you left the store?I always do that way I dont run into problems with installing a bad new alternator. If the old one wasnt doing any of the things this one is and everything is hooked up correctly then I would say bad alternator. Let me know what you find.

samcgregor

July, 22, 2011 AT 7:28 PM

Well, I got the alternator at Auto Zone, and it said made in Malaysia. Having been to Malaysia that did not instill me with a lot of confidence. Mfg. Standards are not exactly great (not tiajuana bad, but not great). I will pull it and go back to auto zone and throw a tantrum. We'll see if that will get me a new one. Thanks for the input.

saturntech9

July, 22, 2011 AT 7:37 PM

Have them test it they will give you another one its under warranty also have them test the replacement one. Let me know how it goes.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement