DIED WHILE DRIVING IT TWO DAYS AGO

2000 Chevrolet S-10

jacob62

March, 26, 2012 AT 9:39 AM

My 2000 chevy s-10 with a 2.2 engine and auto trans - It will not restart it turns over but will not sart I have checked for spark and have a good blue spark on all 4 plugs checked the fuel pressure at the rail rite b4 the injectors and it is at only about 20 to 27 and will build a lil higher with multiple key turns the fuel pump is humming for the 2 secs its supposed to I know the fuel pressure should be higher I think like 47 psi or so? But the weird thing is that even if I put some gas straight into the throttle body it wont start basically I think its the fuel pump or possibly the regulator but don't wont to shell out a few hundred for a pump if its some damn sensor or something else.

Will the fuel pressure being a lil low prevent it from starting? Could the regulator be the cause of the low fuel presure? Also I feel I should mention that it was raining like a mofo when it dyed but since it has had three days to dry out and all the lil sensors on the passengers side of the engine I inspected and they are not wet in any way nor were the coil packs. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Ty in advance jacob

but how would my timing or valves be off when it was running fine for the whole month I had it now and then just poof its off and dead on the spot as I was driving it? Well how would I check timing and valves and what would cause this timing to be suddenly of does he maybe mean like a timing chain or belt broke? Everything is turning over fine just no start and when I do it by hand with a socket you can tell it has compression. Some one please help any advice would be appreciated. What about sensors that might not let it run or start? Oh and on this donation thing I have no credit card but the next time I see some in need I will pay it forward if that helps : )

Throttle Body

Throttle Body Connection

1 IMAGE

March, 26, 2012 AT 12:43 PM

Get the compression tested first. That might tell you something about the engine.
Fuel pressure should be betwee 41 - 47 psi with repeated cycling of ignition switch. Try clamping the return hose to test if the pressure increases when cycling the ignition.

jacob62

March, 26, 2012 AT 2:20 PM

I have no fancy way to test my compresion but I know it has to be good cuz I tried turning it over with a socket and its def has compresion cuz it takes a lil arm to do it. Im guna go outside and do the ounce or so of gas in the throttle body again and see if it starts a lil maybe I didnt use enough gas last time and I had to quick get to the key to try and start it after I poured it in there so i'll be back in a few mins.

jacob62

March, 26, 2012 AT 2:36 PM

Yep this time I poured in plenty and still no ignition and I now its plenty flamable because I thought hmm maybe it eveperated real fast so I lit my lighter like an idiot and woosh a fire ball so sumthing else is up here other than the fuel pump I def have a blue spark on all four cables guess ima pull the plugs and take a look at them maybe they will alude to something else that might of happend? Some one please help if you have any good ideas. Ty

March, 26, 2012 AT 2:57 PM

There are parts stores that loans out compression testers etc. Compression that is lower than necessary would make it difficult to start.

With fuel and ignition spark, there is no reason for engine not to start. At least it would fire up momentarily, unless you have compression or ignition/valve timing fault.

Engine is chain driven and chances of timing jumping while engine is running is almost zero.

jacob62

March, 26, 2012 AT 3:32 PM

Well what happened was I was driving alond just regular no hard speed racer stuff and bam it died then I coasted to a stop and it hasnt started back up since I had to have a friend "push" me home I just took the plugs out and they didnt look like new but they didnt look like crap either never the less I just filed them and wire brushed them and gapped them and am about to check for spark with the actual plugs that were in it now instead of the one I was using to test for spark I just need a way to turn it over from under the hood cuz im by myself today until 5 or so which sucks I need a damn key turned person! But also just to mention its not difficult to start it flat out wont start when I pour some gas in the throttle body but it turns over and every thing is turned like its supposed to tho. If I had blown a ring or something I didnt think it would feel like it has compression at all when I turn it over by hand with a socket and it does feel like there is compression enough were its a lil hard to do I mean not really hard but enough ya know? Would ignition or valve timing fault show up as an error code cus I only have an evap code po452 which comes on alost when the fuel is low ( cus I sucked a bunch out cuz I though id be changing the pump and only put enough back in for these testing purposes?

March, 26, 2012 AT 8:34 PM

Trouble codes sometimes do not show up when engine is not running and cranking does not trigger them.

I have seens EVAP codes causing difficult starting but non starting, never.

You can rig a wire to attac to the starter solenoid for you to crank the engine by applying battery voltage to it.

jacob62

March, 26, 2012 AT 11:37 PM

My buddy stopped by and he cranked while I poured sum gas in the throttle body and it fired up for a sec or to so im 95 % sure its the pump but that lil 5% is telln me it might be the fp regulator. Could that regulator cause the presure to be only 21 to 27 instead of 41 to 47 and also cause the presure to drop imediatly after cranking like litererly a second and the presures gone?

jacob62

March, 27, 2012 AT 2:16 AM

Need to know what tool I nned to detach the fpr from the intake manifold I got the fuel line off

March, 27, 2012 AT 4:11 PM

Pinch the return hoseand test the fuel pressure. If it is the FRP, the pressure would build up.

jacob62

March, 31, 2012 AT 2:00 AM

Ok its not the fpr for sure I changed it and the fuel pump gets here tommorow but I know it wont due me any good cuz I just borrowed a compresion tester and literly have noe compresion at all so what does that mean? Timing chain sint broke cuz the pistons are moving in there could it skipping a few teeth cause no compresion or is it somthing else entiraly? Please hellppp me someone

Easily Clean Your Throttle Bore Like a Pro
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Toyota
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Kia Rio