CHEVY CV AXLE

2000 Chevrolet Impala

Hootie1

April, 3, 2011 AT 11:21 PM

I have a 2000 Chevy Impala. I took it in for a tire rotation and they told me the drivers side CV axle boot was leaking grease. After confirming, I ordered a rebuilt CV axle and prepared to install it. As I was pulling the spinder apart, I notice the wheel bearing tight. Brought the wheel hub assembly in and the folks at the auto store recommended replacing it and the out tie rod as well. As I put all back together and made sure the tie rod was turned in the same amount of turns as the old one was removed. My question is my steering now pulls to the left as I am driving. Do I need to have an alignment done on the car?

caradiodoc

April, 3, 2011 AT 11:31 PM

Absolutely. Screwing in the tie rod end as many turns as the old one is a real good way to get it somewhat close, but when the alignment mechanic adjusts it, a quarter turn can be the difference between no tire wear and horrendous wear. No two tie rod ends are the same. If they were, we wouldn't need alignment shops and their $20,000.00 alignment computers.

Wrenchtech

April, 4, 2011 AT 12:01 AM

I suspect you also removed the 2 bolts where the strut attaches to the knuckle. This will throw your camber way off which will, in turn make major changes to the toe also. That's where your pulling is coming from.

CV Axle Replacement
CV Axle Replacement
CV Drive Axle Replacement Nissan Altima
Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions