I NEED HELP WITH THIS GOT TOMORROW OFF SO I CAN WORK ON IT

1999 Volkswagen Passat

kennyweaver92

April, 25, 2012 AT 12:46 AM

I have a 99 vw passat I was driving it down the road and all of a sudden all the interior check engine light and all the other check things lights came on and so I pulled over and shut it off then when I tried to start it up it wouldnt start back up it would just click. Then I had some one jump start me and it started up right away then I let it set thinking it was the battery that was not fully charged but then it just shut off and wouldnt start again so I had to jump it again and did the same thing so I had to get a tow now I believe it to be the alternator but just in case I put the battery on the charger now when I start it up it dies almost immediatly. Any advice?

April, 25, 2012 AT 12:50 AM

You need to have the system checked at a shop. It does sound like the alternator has failed.

kennyweaver92

April, 25, 2012 AT 12:57 AM

I dont have the money to have it check out at the shop

April, 25, 2012 AT 1:01 AM

Ok, but for 20 bucks, it will save you from spending a lot of money on a battery or alt.

F4I_guy

May, 13, 2012 AT 3:21 PM

Charge the battery for a few hours on a low amperage setting, then start the vehicle. Immediately put a voltmeter on the battery and record the voltage. If the voltage is below 12 volts, then you have a charging system issue. I would check fuses first, then the alternator power cable. You check this cable by doing a voltage drop test. Set your voltmeter to volts and put one lead on the positive terminal (battery) and the other on the power cable on the alternator. Start the vehicle, you'll get a low voltage reading, most likely around 0.1-0.5V. If you see anything above 0.4-0.5volts, replace the alternator cable. If the reading is low. Replace the alternator.

JamminJames

May, 14, 2012 AT 7:29 AM

Did you check what codes if any were present? Did light come on when vehicle died or prior?

JamminJames

May, 14, 2012 AT 7:30 AM

What size motor do you have this also will help in troubleshooting your problem.

vwscott

July, 7, 2012 AT 2:58 AM

Codes still should be present. They have to be cleared by scan tool/ code reader. I've had some vw's that had charging issues ended up having to reset theadaption on the throttle body. Probably wouldn't hurt to clean it. If adaption is attempted and unsuccessful a cleaning often time will cure it.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement