Car will not start

PASSAT99
  • 1999 VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT
I just bought a new battery for my 1999 Volkswagen Passat. Placed it in, but car will not start, and the yellow lights flash. What do I do? The battery that was in my car before that had previously died. I charged it, and the car started and ran well. But it did not hold the charge long (did not drive it due to registration and inspection out of date). But now that I bought the new battery, the car won't even start, just the yellow lights flash for about 1-2 minutes.
Monday, March 12th, 2012 AT 1:00 AM

RIVERMIKERAT
Does it have an anti-theft system?
+1
Monday, March 12th, 2012 AT 1:32 AM
PASSAT99
Yes. It's kinda weak (perhaps because the year make is quite old)
+1
Monday, March 12th, 2012 AT 1:35 AM
RIVERMIKERAT
If the anti-theft system is factory, you may have to reprogram the key/remote.

If I read your question properly, it isn't turning over when you turn the key? No noise, nothing. Make sure the main fuses and relays are all in proper working condition.
+1
Monday, March 12th, 2012 AT 2:47 AM
PASSAT99
I will be getting a new key battery tomorrow morning. But yes there is no sound really. All lights and radio come on and such. Before this battery (when the old one was in place) it would start perfectly. The battery just gave out completely (which was kinda expected) but I just don't understand why this new one isn't starting at all.
+1
Monday, March 12th, 2012 AT 3:20 AM
RIVERMIKERAT
Are there any visual indicators of anti-theft system activation? Is there an LED that flashes? When you turn the key, do you get voltage to the starter? There should be a main power lead that has power all the time and a smaller one that activates the starter solenoid, causing the starter to engage and turn the engine over. Make sure the ground wasn't knocked off the engine block when the new battery was installed.
+1
Monday, March 12th, 2012 AT 3:52 AM
PASSAT99
Yes there are visual indicators of the anti theft being flashing yellow lights. As for the led - no. Voltage to starter yes.
+1
Monday, March 12th, 2012 AT 11:20 PM
RIVERMIKERAT
Voltage to which starter lead? Main, solenoid/relay, or both (with key in start position)?

The anti-theft system appears to have engaged the starter disable feature. Have you tried disabling or deactivating the alarm?
-1
Monday, March 12th, 2012 AT 11:45 PM
PASSAT99
Well, I honestly am not sure how to disable/deactivate the system. I can not seem to find anything online. Nor in my manual. So I have not done so unfortunately.

As for the voltage i'm not totally for certain. It's just when turning the key to start. There's a slight "cricket" sound for a few seconds.
+1
Tuesday, March 13th, 2012 AT 2:16 AM
RIVERMIKERAT
That "cricket" sound usually signifies a bad solenoid.
-1
Tuesday, March 13th, 2012 AT 3:53 AM