HELLOI HAVE A 1999 VW JETTA GL 2

1999 Volkswagen Jetta

Kasrak

October, 28, 2012 AT 7:39 PM

i have a 1999 VW Jetta GL 2.0. When im driving on the highway and doing about 110KM/Hr in 5th gear the RPM is at 3000, that seems too high! And also what I have noticed is that the engine cools down, the gauge for the engine where it shows if the car is warm or cold, drops significantly when on the highway! Please help me understand why this is happening? Thank you.

Kas

exovcds

October, 28, 2012 AT 9:40 PM

Hi,

There's nothing you can do about the RPMs if it is a standard transmission... the gear ratios in the transmission & Differential determine
engine rpm. Keep in mind that this is a 4 cylinder engine, so they are geared for higher rpm as opposed to a V6 or 8 cylinder engine
that has more grunt (so to speak).

The Temperature drops because of a faulty Coolant Thermostat... I have a video on how to replace the thermostat. It is from a 1.8T
New Beetle, but the location of your Thermostat & removal steps are the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW8gOHVx2mI

There are "taller" 5th gears that you can install, to bring the rpms down as an option.

Thomas

Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma