WHEN I START MY CAR AFTER IT HAS BEEN LEFT FOR A FEW HOURS IT STRUGGLES TO START

1999 Volkswagen GTI

vinnie19817

When I start my car after it has been left for a few hours it struggles to start, it can take 3 or 4 times to get it running and when it does start if I press the accelerater it struggles or stalls, but if I leave it idleing for five minuites it runs ok apart from a stall sometimes when I stop untill the engine heats up.

any advice you could give would be appreciated.
thanx
vinnie

1991 Hard To Start

Engine Does Not Stay Running

fixitmr

Take a look at plugs to see if it's running rich(dark) or lean (light) causing problem.

jacksprat

January, 24, 2012 AT 9:50 AM

Check for any fault codes stored, also check coolant temperature sender, clean out the throttle body, check the vacuum booster valve, check all vacuum lines for damage. Check the overrun cut off valve. These are all common problems with this engine.

mhpautos

Check fuel pressure is ok, regulator may be bleeding down, try turning on ignition then off then on to build up fuel pressure and see if it then starts straight up.

Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe