IS A FAULTY COOLANT TEMP SENSOR THE REASON FOR THE CAR STALLING AND NOT RESTARTING?

1999 Volkswagen Golf

bryansalazar

June, 5, 2012 AT 8:05 PM

I was driving for about 5min and at a stop te car stalled it would restart then eventually it did I drove on and at a next stop it stalled again and wouldnt restart I then had to call the AA and it restarted again the AA person checked all the fuses and were ok he then checked te engine and told me he suspects the coolant temp sensor was faulty which was causing the stall and not restarting I just want a second opinion thanks

June, 5, 2012 AT 8:22 PM

It is possible but you need to find out what is missing causing the non starting. Replacing things without confirming that it is faulty is a waste of time and money.

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

The link explains what to look for when it fails to start.

vwscott

July, 7, 2012 AT 4:32 AM

If it's a turbo the recirc valve can be faulty. I have never known of a coolant temp sensor to cause a stalling starting problem. If the ect sensor is the culprit i'd like to know.

Coolant Temperature Sender Replacement