1999 Volkswagen Cabriolet clutch

CMZANNN
  • 1999 VOLKSWAGEN CABRIOLET
1999vw cabrio 2.0 how do I adjust the pedal travel it seems excessive
Monday, June 30th, 2014 AT 9:19 PM

EXOVCDS
99 cabrio should have a clutch cable, not a hydraulic system. At least here in North America. Where are you?

If it is a cable, it should be "self adjusting". It can be "reset" if need be.

Thomas
-1
Tuesday, July 1st, 2014 AT 8:57 PM
CMZANNN
I am in the states your exactly right it has a cable how can I re adjust it. Thanx for the help I really appreciate it
Thursday, July 3rd, 2014 AT 9:02 PM
EXOVCDS
If your cable is still attached to the lever at the transmission go to step 2.

1)
I made a video a while back, that shows how I collapse a cable... there is no audio of me talking. If you have a question, just post under the video and I will reply as soon as I can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPI5qkxol08

Basically what I am doing (to collapse the cable)... is slide the plastic assembly back & forth on the cable (tip of cable held with one hand) until the plastic accordion section collapses.

Once the accordion section is collapsed, it needs to be held collapsed so that the cable can be connected.

2) From under the vehicle, grab the lever that the cable attaches to and pull down on the lever until the accordion section of the clutch cable "collapses". As shown in the first 8 seconds of the above video.

Let go of the lever (no need to disconnect the cable).

Collapsing & releasing the cable "repositions" the self adjusting mechanism... having done that, sit in the car and press the clutch pedal several time.

Did it make a difference?

Thomas
Thursday, July 3rd, 2014 AT 9:37 PM