OVERHEATING

• zoeoneill
  • 1999 SEAT Arosa

Hi there, have a Seat Arosa 1.4 automatic, that started over heating, found that thermostat and fan switch was broken and so have replaced both, car is still overheating, what is wrong? Please help as I have no trustworthy mechanic where I live as was told it was the head gasket, but I can still drive short distances, ie around town. It's not losing coolant.

Thursday, September 27th, 2012 AT 10:45 AM

• ASEMaster6371

From the overheating, yes, the head gasket may be bad. You need to have a leak down test performed to confirm.

Thursday, September 27th, 2012 AT 11:00 AM
  • KHLow2008

When does the overheating occur?

Thursday, September 27th, 2012 AT 11:22 AM
  • zoeoneill

Its not the head gasket as have had this test performed, sorry should have mentioned that, the overheating occurs whilst driving, although must state that I have not again let it get to the point where the coolant comes on as I am worried that I will then ruin the head. Cpild it possible be the thermostat sensor? Or a air lock? As after replacing the thermostat, the plug popped out and lost its rubber, have now replaced that rubber and plug is nice and snug again, hope this is enough info

Thursday, September 27th, 2012 AT 11:33 AM
  • zoeoneill

Sorry meant the plug from the thermostat housing

Thursday, September 27th, 2012 AT 11:35 AM
  • KHLow2008

Ensure everything is in order and bleed system fully.
When starting from cold, let it run for at least 10 minutes and if the temperature goes higher than normal, note if the fans starts to come on. If vehicle is equipped with A/C, ensure the cooling fans comes on when A/C is turned on.

Thursday, September 27th, 2012 AT 11:40 AM