1999 Saturn SL1 Starting problems

ROSIE55
  • 1999 SATURN SL1
My car starts and runs fine, no service engine light on, but once the car is shut off it wont start back for about 4 to 5 hours. I have changed the fuel filter and ignition control module, please help.
Thursday, September 19th, 2013 AT 10:38 PM

SATURNTECH9
The ignition control module was a expensive guess and they rarely fail on those cars. So it will crank and not start? Do you loose spark when it won't start? The most common reason for them to loose spark on those cars is bad crank shaft position sensors.I have replaced tons of them on those cars.
Thursday, September 19th, 2013 AT 11:14 PM
ROSIE55
I changed the crank shaft sensor first the car doesnt seem to be missing. I thought maybe it could be the injectors.
Friday, September 20th, 2013 AT 7:19 AM
SATURNTECH9
So when it doesn't start do you loose spark? Also when it won't start have you tried holding your gas pedal all the way to the floor while trying to start it?Another thing that causes no starts and tons of other symptoms is a bad coolant tempo sensor. I have replaced so many of those its unreal.
Friday, September 20th, 2013 AT 8:47 AM
ROSIE55
No it doesnt lose spark, I have held the gas all the way to the floor it tries to start. It acts like it floods itself u can smell the gas.
Friday, September 20th, 2013 AT 9:00 AM
SATURNTECH9
Then I would replace the coolant temp sensor sounds like its bad. When they go bad they always read the coolant temp lower the actual temp.I have seen some of them off by more then 100 degrees. Also inspect the inside of the connector going to it. If the terminals are blue or green instead of silver replace the connector also. Auto zone sells them for about 12 and has a lifetime warranty.
Friday, September 20th, 2013 AT 9:30 AM
ROSIE55
Thank you so much for all your help, it has been very helpful. I hope this will solve my problem
Friday, September 20th, 2013 AT 10:04 AM
SATURNTECH9
That's the most likely cause let me know how it runs after you replace it.
Friday, September 20th, 2013 AT 10:18 AM
ROSIE55
Thank you for all your help the coolant sencor was my problem after changing it my car starts fine, thank you so very much.
Saturday, September 21st, 2013 AT 4:00 AM
SATURNTECH9
Your Welcome that's what were here for next time stop here before the auto parts store.
Saturday, September 21st, 2013 AT 7:54 AM