MOTOR WILL NOT START

1999 Plymouth Voyager

spartacus1225

August, 3, 2011 AT 6:00 PM

Hello I have a 1999 grd caravan that sat for several months I started it periodically with no problems. The oil pan gasket needed replacing and I had wait for nicer weather (no garage @ our house) to do the work. Once I did that the motor would not start. I replaced the battery still nothin. I checked fuel pressure its fine. I checked the #2 spark plug and nothing. Why would it do that it started fine all winter. I rechecked all the connections everything seems to be where it should be. Someone plz help me.

caradiodoc

August, 3, 2011 AT 8:10 PM

What are the symptoms? Replacing the battery suggests the starter isn't cranking the engine. I assume you were checking for spark and that implies the engine WAS cranking.

spartacus1225

August, 3, 2011 AT 8:36 PM

Hello I replaced the battery the motor cranks over fine. I took the #2 spark plug out & had someone come over to turn the ignition & turn to motor over. There was no spark.

caradiodoc

August, 3, 2011 AT 9:31 PM

Dandy. Grab a voltmeter or test light and back-probe the dark green / orange wire in the coil pack connector, any injector, or either small wire on the back of the alternator. In this case a test light is more accurate, but if you're using a digital voltmeter, watch closely because they respond slow enough that the initial test can be missed.

There should be voltage on that wire for one second after a helper turns on the ignition switch, then it will go back to 0 volts. That voltage must come back during cranking. If it's never there, check for a blown fuse. If it's there for that initial one second but not during cranking, suspect the crankshaft position sensor or the camshaft position sensor. Given the recent history, it's more likely a mouse chewed on the wires going to one of those sensors than the sensor actually failed.

spartacus1225

August, 3, 2011 AT 9:59 PM

Ok I'll try put the light to all of the above mentioned & the thought of a mouse or rat (which I have seen around our house) is suspect. Thank u for ur time.

spartacus1225

August, 15, 2011 AT 6:36 AM

Thanx guys I found out it was a blown fuse auto shut down? Somethin like that. It started but shut down after 2-3 seconds so jus gonna replace 2-3 of the fuses and hopefully have it running 2morrow.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe