How to replace a camshaft sensor on a 1999 Nissan Sentra

EDDIEM
  • 1999 NISSAN SENTRA
Car makes a whining noise, took off starter and it check out ok. I put my car diagnostic tool and it gave me a code camshaft sensor. I bought the sensor and I don't know where its located in the engine. Thats if thats going to work. Thats all I know.
Monday, March 19th, 2012 AT 1:56 AM

FIXITMR
Cam sensor is part of distributor. You replace complete distributor. Where did you buy part?
Monday, March 19th, 2012 AT 7:14 AM
EDDIEM
Well I only have the cam sensor shaft only is that mean I have to replace the whole distributor which the sensor is built in distributor.
Monday, March 19th, 2012 AT 3:27 PM
FIXITMR
Can you post pic of part you have? Does this whining noise happen when car sits and motor is at idle?
Monday, March 19th, 2012 AT 5:36 PM
EDDIEM
The car does not turn over it just makes awhinibg noise it doesn't even turn over to start. It just does a whining noise when I try to turn on the car. There is picture of cam sensor I want to replace. My other question is if the starters is good and it is engaging could it also be the flywheel. The teeth on starter looked good so?
Monday, March 19th, 2012 AT 6:19 PM
FIXITMR
You got a bad starter drive(1 way clutch) or your flywheel teeth are missing? Not likely they are missing unless it was grinding alot when trying to start before.
Wednesday, March 21st, 2012 AT 6:31 AM
FIXITMR
Who tested starter? It not only has to spin but also extend gear to engage flywheel. But if 1 way clutch is bad it will spinand make squeal/whine noise but not turn motor.
Wednesday, March 21st, 2012 AT 6:37 AM
FIXITMR
That part you pic looks like CRANK sensor. There is some confusion regarding this part from nissan.
Wednesday, March 21st, 2012 AT 6:39 AM
EDDIEM
Thanks for your help I'm going to take the starter off to double check that starter again Thanks again for you Help.
Wednesday, March 21st, 2012 AT 2:36 PM