ENGINE DAMAGE QUESTION

1999 Nissan Pathfinder

2CarPros-Archives

November, 9, 2010 AT 7:37 PM

1999 Nissan Pathfinder mileage: 102,350. I brought my wife's Pathfinder into the local Nissan dealership for an oil change yesterday. While returning home, I noticed the oil light flickering and immediately pulled over. The dipstick showed no oil. At that time I had driven 9 miles. I called the dealership and they sent a truck to my location. They added 4 quarts of oil (capacity) and had me follow them back to the dealership to inspect the filter, etc. They gave the truck a clean bill of health (no surprise I suppose), and I drove home without incident. What is the chance that damage was done to the engine in that 9 miles? Is there an inspection that would show damage? What do you suggest I do to follow up?

2CarPros-Archives

November, 9, 2010 AT 7:39 PM

Write a letter to your Nissan dealer outlining what occurred and your concerns about damage to the engine. Even though the engine appears to be okay now, you may experience problems in the future such as camshaft failure, rod bearing failure and/or excessive oil usage caused by failed piston rings.

Oil Change and Filter Dodge Nitro
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes
Engine Oil Change and Filter
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Dodge Ram
Engine Oil Change and Filter Replacement