FEW MONTHS AGO MY CAR BROKE DOWN IN LA AND FOUND...

1999 Mitsubishi Mirage

Anonymous

October, 18, 2012 AT 10:36 PM

Few months ago my car broke down in LA and found someone to help me out to repaired, he change the timing belt, and also told me the he noticed the rpm was kind of low and he moved a lil bit.
so now I took my car to do the smog check and the check engine light turn it on, and the technician told me to clean up the idle air valve on my car which I cleaned up removing all the carcoal and dust from there, once was cleaned car started but is accelerating and rpm goes to number 2.
so how can I undo what the mechanic did to lower rpm.
thanks

caradiodoc

October, 18, 2012 AT 11:27 PM

Engine speed is not adjustable. It is controlled by the Engine Computer. When it's too high it's usually due to a vacuum leak. Check the vacuum hoses for leaks and cracks. When the engine is still cold you can also spray water on the intake manifold gaskets and vacuum hoses. If there's a big enough leak you'll see the water get sucked in and the engine speed will slow down momentarily.

Clean Idle Air Control Ford Super Duty 5.4L