THE CAR WONT START IT IS MAKING A KIND OF ...

1999 Mercury Mystique

mikechelsee

December, 26, 2012 AT 10:40 PM

The car wont start it is making a kind of grinding sound, not a clicking sound. But wont start.

caradiodoc

December, 26, 2012 AT 11:22 PM

Start by checking the battery cable connections to be sure they're clean and tight. Next, measure the battery voltage with an inexpensive digital voltmeter. It should be 12.6 volts. If it is, measure that voltage with the meter probes on the cable clamps, (not the battery posts), while a helper tries to crank the engine. Let me know what you find.

mikechelsee

December, 27, 2012 AT 5:48 PM

Battery secure and do I need to really test if I just had and oil change the day before (app. 5 miles) from when it broke down and the battery test came out normal. I have tried to start is again and nothing I think that I am draining the battery though the more I try to start it. The noise - the car is turning over but its like nothing is igniting to start it but still no clicking.

mikechelsee

December, 27, 2012 AT 5:58 PM

Going to the store here in a few to get a voltmeter wondering if a multimeter would work

caradiodoc

December, 28, 2012 AT 6:57 AM

This has nothing to do with an oil change. Electrical problems can show up anytime. You can find a perfectly fine digital voltmeter, (multimeter / DVOM), at Harbor Freight Tools for around five bucks on sale. Sears, Walmart, Radio Shack, and any auto parts stores and hardware stores have them too but you'll pay more and you'll pay for features you'll never use. All you need to make me happy is a meter that will read DC voltage to one decimal place, . . . two is better.

This page may help:

http://randysrepairshop.net/voltage-drop-tests-in-a-high-current-circuit.html

but instead of having a helper try to crank the engine, just turn on the head lights. With the type of symptoms you're describing, the head lights may draw enough current to make a bad connections identifiable.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right