VIBRATION AND WHINING/HUMMING NOISE

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee

jesse6101

June, 2, 2013 AT 2:40 PM

My jeep has developed a whining/humming noise that only occurs during acceleration. The sound is vehicle speed dependent (the sound pitch gets higher) not engine speed dependent. On flat ground it isnt too bad unless I press the gas fairly hard but when at the top of a hill where the hill starts to level off, the vibration and sound is awful. Please help me locate the source and an idea of a repair cost.

June, 2, 2013 AT 4:04 PM

DOES IT DO IT IN PARK AND ON THE GAS PEDAL?

jesse6101

June, 2, 2013 AT 4:28 PM

Nope this sound only occurs while driving down the road. The sound becomes audible at 35-40+ mph but that could be because of the sound of the Flowmaster overpowing it at lower speeds : ). This sound only occurs while my foot is on the gas. I have checked the exhaust for anything rubbing or leaks and I found nothing. After three hours of driving above 55 mph this weekend Im preaty sure the sound and vibration is occurring somewhere in the front differential or front driveshaft or possibly transfer case or transmission. I can tell there is a little sound and vibration at the lower speeds but it's way to faint to locate below 35 mph. I do allot of driving above 55 mph in the summer as I go to Appomattox so this needs to be fixed before it drives me nuts!

jesse6101

June, 2, 2013 AT 4:34 PM

I did look under it again and I found a slight problem with the driveshaft. I will try uploading some pictures.

June, 2, 2013 AT 4:40 PM

I'M NOT UP ON THE CHEROKEE DRIVETRAINS OVER THE YEARS

WHAT SYSTEM DO YOU HAVE. TRANSFER CASE?

IF THIS IS PUSH BUTTON 4X4---IT MIGHT BE THAT SOMETHING DID NOT DISENGAGE. LIKE A FRONT HUB

'NUTHER POSSIBILITY

THIS IS OFTEN OVERLOOKED

. WELL THEY GET "LOOKED AT", BUT PROPER INSPECTION IS NOT DONE.I WILL REMAKE THESE PICS ONE DAY, I MADE THESE WHEN I WAS STILL SORTA "GREEN" ON THE COMPUTER, MY COLOR CHOICES LACKED. THESE ARE ON MY '46 WILLYS. YOURS ARE VERY SIMILAR

RETURN WITH A GRIN!

ARE YOU ABLE TO MAKE REPAIRS YOURSELF.I GOT MORE INFO SHOULD YOU NEED TO REPLACE THEM

jesse6101

June, 2, 2013 AT 5:06 PM

Nice jeep! Okay so I have checked the drive shafts for any play and I found none. I did get some pictures to show some possible causing things and I will put those on shortly. My system is a quadra trac two and it has a 247 J transfer case

jesse6101

June, 2, 2013 AT 5:11 PM

jesse6101

June, 2, 2013 AT 5:12 PM

jesse6101

June, 2, 2013 AT 5:16 PM

jesse6101

June, 2, 2013 AT 5:17 PM

jesse6101

June, 2, 2013 AT 5:19 PM

Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Ford Taurus
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Toyota Tacoma