STARTING ISSUE

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee

daffyheavyd

November, 16, 2013 AT 5:48 PM

I have a 99 grand Cherokee Laredo that will not start. It turns over just fine. I have no gauge response inside(no fuel reading, tank is full). I have tested the fuses and relays under the hood and under the drivers side dash- no issues. I tested the wiring down to the fuel pump and I get no power to the pump with the key on or trying to start the car. No fuel to the fuel rail obviously since no power to the pump. I have no codes as my son disconnected the battery to tow it the 100 or so miles to my house. Any ideas would be appreciated. I was looking in the area of the crank sensor or the cam sensor. These two just don't make sense to me as it would seem that they should be rotating in order to send a signal to the PCM.

Cam Sensor

November, 17, 2013 AT 1:10 AM

Which engine do you have?
Fuel pump not getting power seems to be the main cause and it most probably is a wiring issue.
Did you try starting fluid and are you getting sparks at the spark plugs?

daffyheavyd

November, 17, 2013 AT 7:31 AM

I have the 4.0 inline 6 with fuel injection. I tested the coil rail like the manual explained and the test passed.

November, 19, 2013 AT 10:49 AM

The diagram shows the fuel pump relay schematics.

With a test light or DVOM, check the relay for battery voltage at the Violet/White wire. Should be hot at all times.
With ignition ON, the Ornge/Dark blue wire should have battery voltage.
Apply battery voltage to the Dark Green/Black to test if the fuel pump runs.

daffyheavyd

Violet/White wire has no power, orange/dark blue has power with key on, I direct connected the fuel pump with a jumper to the battery and the pump runs.

If the Violet/White wire does not have any battery voltage, it means you have a power disruption. Check the 20 A (fuse # 24 in power distribution center.)

daffyheavyd

All of the fuses and relays have been checked with a meter or replaced, still nothing.

daffyheavyd

I have also checked the crank sensor and the cam sensor as per the manual, no defects noted. I seem to have completed all of the checks in the manual except for the dealer check of the PCM. The Jeep/Chrysler dealers that are in the area are not at all reputable, hence me trying to repair this myself. I would have to drive over 200 miles to find a decent dealership.

January, 30, 2014 AT 5:36 AM

Try using a fused wire to apply battery voltage to the Violet/White to test if it works.

daffyheavyd

February, 17, 2014 AT 10:58 AM

Used a fused(7 amp) wire and applied battery voltage to violet/white wire as instructed, still no power. Sorry for such long periods between responses but the car is outside and I live in a high snow area so I have to work when I can.

daffyheavyd

February, 22, 2014 AT 2:50 PM

Used a fused ( 7 amp) wire and applied battery voltage as described. Still no power.

Camshaft Angle Sensor Replacement P0015