Heater problems

DAMONRE
  • 1999 JEEP CHEROKEE
I have 1999 JEEP CHEROKEE CLASSIC AND THE HEAT IS NOT WORKING WHAT CAN I DO? I REPLACE THE THERMOSTAT
Tuesday, December 7th, 2010 AT 4:38 AM

FEEL THE HEATER HOSES NEAR THE FIREWALL, AFTER YOUR RIG IS AT OPERATING TEMPERATURE. IF THEY ARE AS HOT AS YOUR UPPER RADIATOR HOSE, THE THERMOSTAT IS PROBABLY NOT THE PROBLEM!

OBSERVATIONS? OTHER OBSERVATIONS?

I DO NOT KNOW YOUR RIG WELL

I WILL TRY TO HELP YOU

I'M STILL HERE!

Tuesday, December 7th, 2010 AT 4:47 AM
ARE THEY UNCOMFORTABLY TOO HOT TO HOLD IN YOUR HAND VERY LONG (ALL MENTIONED, AFTER YOU REACH OPERATING TEMP). OR COOLER AFTER IT IDLES A WHILE, AND REALLY HOTTER JUST AFTER A DRIVE (IF YOU CHECK IT QUICKLY AFTER THE DRIVE)

DOES YOUR TEMP GAUGE FLUCTUATE FROM "HIGHER" WHILE DRIVING TO LOWER WHILE "IDLING"

YOU CAN RESPOND BELOW AT "ADD A REPLY"

Tuesday, December 7th, 2010 AT 6:06 AM
BY THE WAY---I DO NOT KNOW YOU, SO I AM NOT DIRECTING THIS TO BE MEAN!

I DO THIS TO EVERYBODY, WHO IS NOT "ME"!

DID YOU INSTALL THE THERMOSTAT PRIOR TO HAVING THIS ISSUE OR AFTER--EVEN SO, IS IT SITTING WITH THE SPRING DOWN AND POINTY SIDE UP,
HAVE YOU HAD THE HEATER HOSES OFF AND MAYBE MISROUTED THEM?

REALLY GOOD ONE---ARE YOU FULL OF RADIATOR JUICE?

IS THERE ANY SORT OF "WATER SWITCH" ON THE HEATER HOSES---BETWEEN ONE END OF THEM, TO THE OTHER. IF THERE IS, MAYBE ITS STUCK PARTIALLY SHUT. IT MIGHT CAN BE COMPLETELY REMOVED (NOW THAT IT'S WINTER TIME) AND THE HOSE REPLACED IN FULL LENGTH OR JUST THE VALVE BE REPLACED WITH A SUITABLE COUPLER TILL YOU CAN DO BETTER!

ARE THEY OLD AND SQUISHY, AND MAYBE THE WATER-PUMP IS SUCKING THE RETURN FLAT?

ARE THERE ANY KINKS IN THE HEATER HOSES?

I'M ABOUT TO HIT THE HAY--SEE YOU IN THE MORN!

I WILL LEAVE YOU WITH SOME THING TO TRY

TAKE LOOSE THE HIGHEST HEATER HOSE ON THE ENGINE--AT SAME TIME WATCH THE WATER IN YOUR RADIATOR--IS IT FALLING AS IF YOU JUST BLED THE AIR FROM AN AIR POCKET?

IF NO RESULTS THERE, CONTINUE WITH THIS:

CONNECT A LONG HEATER HOSE FROM THE WATER PUMP TO THE FITTING IN THE ENGINE (COMPLETELY BY-PASSING THE HEATER CORE)HOW HOT DOES THIS LINE GET?

WHILE THAT IS LOOSE, FORCE WATER THRU THE HEATER CORE WITH A WATER HOSE---IS IT FLOWING FREELY FROM THE OPEN SIDE?

HECK, IF THE WATER HOSE IS CONNECTED TO EVERY HEATER HOSE IN THE SYSTEM, (ONE COMPONENT AT A TIME) DOES IT COME OUT THE OPENING ON THE OTHER END OF EACH COMPONENT

NIGHT--NIGHT

THAT OUGHTTA KEEP YOU UP ALL NIGHT!

Tuesday, December 7th, 2010 AT 6:44 AM
SORRY, BETWEEN MY 1ST AND 2ND ANSWER, "damonre" SENT ME A MESSAGE, WE WERE DISCUSSING THE HEATER HOSES AND THE RADIATOR UPPER HOSES' TEMPERATURE!

Tuesday, December 7th, 2010 AT 3:44 PM