Security alarm

TREADWEIGH
  • 1999 HONDA ACCORD
When trying to jump start (totally dead) the alarm sounds and lights flash as soon as I connect to a booster battery. It's the factory security system operated now by key only. Is there a way to "reset" this alarm? There has been no change in the key use but the alarm may have been activated and the car immobilized.

I can crank the engine with the alarm blasting but it won't fire because I assume it's in the "immobilized mode".
Sunday, January 23rd, 2011 AT 4:22 PM

KHLOW2008
Is the green key symbol staying on? It must go off to be able to start. If you have a spare key, try using it.

For the horn to be blaring, it is not only the immobilizer. You need to disarm the alarm as well.

Close all doors and use the key to lock and unlock all doors before opening them.

If that does not wok, you would have to check for blown fuses resulting in no communication between the PCM, security system and key.
+2
Monday, January 24th, 2011 AT 2:46 PM
TREADWEIGH
Thank you! The door/key/lock/unlock cycle reset the immobilizer and it started easily with a jump. I appreciate your help, can I leave a tip?
Monday, January 24th, 2011 AT 8:24 PM
KHLOW2008
You're welcome.

Glad to know you have fixed the problem.

Pleas use 2CarPros anytime we are here to help.
+1
Tuesday, January 25th, 2011 AT 1:29 AM
RICK GIOMBETTI
Thanks for the advice ! Worked well once I reset the alarm by putting the key in the door and reset! Horn stopped honking and light went off! Life saver Thanks ! Jumped right away!
Tuesday, July 11th, 2017 AT 10:22 AM
KEN
Good to hear, please use 2CarPros anytime we are here to help.

Cheers, Ken
Tuesday, July 11th, 2017 AT 4:27 PM
PAMHIGHTOWER
  • 1999 HONDA ACCORD
1999 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 101000 miles

The anti-theft alarm keeps going off when I try to open the car door to get in the car. And I dont know how to turn it off. It will go off on it on when it is finish making the alarm noise, I dont have a regular alarm either except the anti-theft.
Tuesday, July 11th, 2017 AT 4:28 PM (Merged)
KHLOW2008
Hi pamhightower,

Try using the key to unlock and open the passenger door and if alarm is not trigggered, it means the driver side door lock switch is faulty not allowing the alarm to be disarmed when you use the key to unlock and open the door.
JOLPOT
  • 2000 HONDA ACCORD
  • 96 MILES
Hi,

My car alarm starts to go off for one of the 2 reasons(rain and heavy winds OR when hood is opened) or a combination of both

Last fall, I took it to the local mechanic for an inspection and brought the car home(it was very windY), the alarm went off within half hour.

Last monday, I took the car to the local honda dealer, they couldnt reproduce the issue. Nor offer me any helpful info. Glad I didnt have to pay the 120 in diagnosis fees!

I called American honda owner link, this is what I was instructed - when the alarm goes off, using the master key insert it into the driver door and turn all the way to left, then all the way to the right and then all the way to the left. The alarm stopped, I took out the key and unlocked the car and locked it, it armed itself again! I thought problem solved!

Yesterday, I came back from a timing belt service and it rained last night and the alarm went off this morning.

I have removed the horn relay since it has been going off every 5 minutes.

One thing I noticed is that when I press hte lock key, the LED light on the drivers door blinks 8 times and pause and then starts blinking every 2 seconds. After the call to American honda, it probably blinked 6 times before pausing and blinking every 2 seconds. Is there any secret code to this? Is the Honda Accord telling me something? Please help. This id driving me nuts.

Also, is it possible to disable the hood latch security thing so that the ACU always thinks the hood is closed?

Your help is most appreciated.A really sleepless and helpless owner
KHLOW2008
I would suggest checking the hood switch adjustment. When hood is closed, there could be too little contact between switch and hood and any vibrations such as from wind, rain or even vibrations from passing vehicles, the alarm would be triggered.

The hood switch is most likely out of adjustment resulting in minimal contact from the hood to break the circuit when hood is closed. Rain water getting to the switch can result in the switch being turned on.

Under windy conditions, vibration of the hood would trigger the alarm as the hood switch comes into contact.

At the point where the hood switch contacts, get someting to stick on the hood to increase the amount of contact when hood is closed. Alternatively, if it is possible, try to increase the height of the hood switch by means of adding a thin spacer betrween it and its mounted position.

If it is possible to adjust the hood so that it closes tighter and do not allow any movement, that would be the ideal solution.
JOLPOT
Thank you for your immediate response - How do I get something to stick on the hood(do you mean the rectangular bar on the hood?). Also, how dyou increase the height of the hood switch and/or the hood switch. Mere googling these terms did not provide me any straight forward answers. For now, I have removed the horn relay and the cr2025 cell from my keyless entry and using the key the old fashioned way to get in and out of the car.

When I closed the hood, I did slightly pull it up to see if there was a play after the hood was shut and there wasnt any and that made me happy.

I am however very curious to clean the hood latch thoroughly, get rid of the gunk/grease and do what you have suggested. Only if I could find a mechanic who understood everything you write.

Please write
thank you
KHLOW2008
If you look around the perimeter of the engine compartment with hood open, you should be able to see a rubber capped switch that can be depressed. It is seated too low. Try to get it seated slightly higher than present and the problem sjhould be solved.

If you teell any mechaninc that the hood switch is out of adjustment and has too little contact with the hod when hood is closed, he should be able to help you on this.
JOLPOT
Thank for your response - I will go see a mechanic and explain what you have written.

However, what I see on my hood latch is the switch is actually plastic, bluish in color(thats what I think is the switch which gets fed 2 wires probably from the drivers MCU and ground). And has a metal contact strip jutting out of it. Say about 5mm width and nearly an inch or inch and half length before it vanishes into the blue switch/under it.I could touch the strip and whats really odd is this strip can move up and down. And couldnt understand what its position should be and If it needed to be secured.

Thank you for the message. I really appreciate your kind gesture!

Basically, this is what I did - took the car to a mechanic, had him remove the hood-pin switch. This switch is so close to the radiator that I nor the mechanic could reach via a screwdriver or any other gizmo. So, he had to remove the hood latch and remove the hood pin switch. I think he just removed it, no short nothing.

Ever since that day, some parts of the sec system(auto lock) don't work, but if I lock the door, the security led on the drivers door panel lights up and no more alarms in the middle of the night. Which is all I wanted.

Hope this helps other poor Honda accord car owners like me. Call American Honda owners association and they gave me the Right-Left-Right combination of key in the drivers door ONLY WHEN THE ALARM is going off(it is very important, only when the alarm is blaring away this will work), this supposedly resets the security system.I had some luck with it initially, however, when there was rain/wind next time, it went off. Thus the smoking gun in my case was the hood-latch and hood-pin switch

please let me know if this is the switch you are talking about.
Thank you again for your help
KHLOW2008
I believe that is the correct switch. When the the strip is moved downwards, contact is broken. How high it should be seated depends on the distance between the hood when closed.

Try using a small cap on top of the button and see if problem is solved.
GIRISH1977
  • 2000 HONDA ACCORD
2000 Honda Accord 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 135000 miles

My car alarm goes of intermittently. I don't know the reason. My battery is fine. I want to either disable it or fix the problem don't want to spend lot of money on it. Please advice. If you want me to disable it please give me the steps. Its factory installed alarm.
JEREMIAH
Remove your remote's battery and see if still happens. There have been issues of the remote's panic button getting triggered without pressing the button.
-1
ANDREW C 243
  • 2002 HONDA ACCORD
It was a sunny afternoon and suddenly I heard the car alarm sounding. Ran outside with the keys and pressed the unlock button on the remote. This happened earlier in the day, and also about two weeks ago around 3:00am. Haven't heard it for several months so it's a problem that's kind of easy to ignore but yesterday my neighbor came out and yelled at me to just pull all the wires and that it's been happening for years. Well, it has been happening for nearly a year. That's when we we took it to a dealer who needed the car for several days to monitor which sensor(s) were too sensitive or going bad.

The car is now parked on the street in front of our house while my daughter away at college. There's nothing super valuable inside, I would like to disable the security system.

Is there a fuse, or an on/off switch for this system? Looking at the fuse box labels for the driver side box, the passenger side box, and the engine compartment box it is not obvious which one to pull, assuming it's even possible.

Any suggestions?
DR. HAGERTY
Just try interrupting the wiring to the siren
ANDREW C 243
As in pull a wire off the horn? I would prefer to still have the horn button on the steering wheel activate the horn while driving.

Otherwise I would be glad to cut a wire from the security box to the horn. Need some help to identify where the box is located and which wire to interrupt.
Tuesday, July 11th, 2017 AT 4:29 PM (Merged)
DR. HAGERTY
Fuse 13 powers the alarm module
DANIELLE JENKS
  • 2002 HONDA ACCORDHONDA ACCORD
I have a 2001 Honda Accord EX, and the anti-theft system keeps going off unexpectedly. I set the alarm, and then minutes later the alarm sounds. I have even tried not locking the car, and the alarm still goes off! I have tried locking the doors manually with the key, and the alarm still goes off. I am not sure what to do to correct the problem. I have tried changing the battery in the keyless entry pad, but it didn't help. Do you have any suggestions?