CJ MEDEVAC REPLIED TO "BROKEN DRIVESHAFT"

1999 GMC Sierra

Bob502

October, 5, 2011 AT 7:26 PM

The cross ( + ) is broken and not the yolk, a broken( + )is still on the pinion flange and still attached to the differential. But leakage is coming from differntial. What do I do to remove broken ( + )and how do I line up the driveshaft to make necessary markings, do I reinstall front driveshaft to make the markings.

hmac300

October, 5, 2011 AT 8:01 PM

The broken joint shold be able to be removed by sticking a screwdriver in to take teh bolts/nuts out that hold it in. If the driveshaft is ok replace teh joint and in reinstall it normally. As far as the leakage is concerned you'll need to pull the yoke and replace the seal, that is pretty straightforward. Just don't be a gorilla when you retighten the nut for the yoke because if you tighten it to much you'll put to much tension on teh bearings and they will fail.

October, 6, 2011 AT 4:21 AM

REPLY AT THE OTHER POST SOUNDED STRANGE, I EVEN HAD ANOTHER EXPERT LOOK AT IT....SORTA DIDN'T KNOW WHAT YOU MEANT.

MY CONCERNS ABOUT YOUR RIG LEAKING AT THE DIFF, WAS NOT THAT THE SEAL MIGHT BE BAD....IT WAS WHATEVER H.ELL DAMAGE YOU DID TO BUST THE U-JOINT, MAY HAVE TWISTED/ BENT YOUR PINION

JUST WITH THE NAKED EYE, JACK UP ONE WHEEL, AND SPIN IT, WATCH THE PINION/ YOKE TO SEE IF IT WOBBLES. IT MAY NOT BE OBVIOUS TO YOUR EYES, YOU MAY HAVE TO CHECK IT WITH A DIAL INDICATOR

IF IT'S BENT, GEARS MAY NOT MESH CORRECTLY, BEARINGS WON'T RUN TRUE, AND WEAR FAST, AND A NEW SEAL MAY NOT LAST LONG.

THIS WAS MY PINION EXPERIENCE LONG AGO! (DON'T SEEM LIKE IT!)

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/jeep-grand-cherokee-1997-jeep-grand-cherokee--2

KEEP US POSTED

Bob502

October, 7, 2011 AT 3:43 PM

Thank you for the assistance, I shall recheck the pinion just to make sure. Now I have to buy a new driveshaft because where the inside indented ring of the u-joint connects to on the shaft is broken. Is it better to buy brand new or will a used one be just as good.

hmac300

October, 7, 2011 AT 4:34 PM

Either will work

Bob502

October, 7, 2011 AT 4:51 PM

Thanks!

Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement
Transmission Turbine Sensor Replacement
Wheel Stud Replacement Chevrolet Cavalier
Automatic Transmission Service