I HAVE THE VORTEC 5

1999 GMC Savana

zorba1

November, 3, 2012 AT 8:31 AM

I have the vortec 5.7, with 4l60E, custom passenger van. What is the best way to re-ring and put in new bearings?
It has a blown head gasket so I figure I may as well do the whole thing.
Can it be done with the engine in place or how does the engine come out?

hmac300

November, 3, 2012 AT 3:52 PM

To take teh engine out you have to drop trans and front suspension, you might be able to jack it up enough to get pan off from bottom. Kinda touch to do in car but not impossible.

zorba1

November, 5, 2012 AT 8:49 AM

Thanks, i'll try it in the vehicle. It does not burn oil, but is blowing steam, I want to do it before she locks up. We have somewhat similar experience.
I am retired with 55+ years as a mechanic. My body does not contort like it used to.
I started at eight on tractors, corn pickers, balers and other farm stuff, Then cars of the forties, fifties and 60's.
On to trucks; then ships, back to trucks and heavy equipment.
I ended up with oil industry stuff like articulated vehicles and vibrator trucks in oil exploration and worked the north slope of Alaska. Had to use hammers and chisels on grease. Steel cracked and broke like glass, at 80 below, did a lot of welding.
Along the way I earned the ase master auto, ase master truck, have a degree in auto technology, worked on harley's, yamaha, s and bsa's years ago. Was born in Cleveland, Ohio.
Guns and hunting was my passion though.
I pray you have an excellent retirement.

Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz ML500
Spark Plug Replacement Ford Explorer 4.6L V8
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Corolla 2000-20
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz C230