THE CAR IS LEAKING THE POWER STEERING FLUID THROUGH THE TOP OF THE CAP.

1999 Ford Taurus

emma izquierdo

February, 20, 2011 AT 2:20 AM

The car is leaking the power steering fluid through the top of the cap of the power steering pump as soon as you shut the car off it leaks it out. We've replaced the rack and pinon three times, return hose, pressure hose, pressure valve and replaced three times and it keeps leaking power steering fluid right through the cap of the pump. Please help me figure out this puzzle.

caradiodoc

February, 20, 2011 AT 7:58 AM

Only Fords have this problem and it is very common. It is due to air trapped in the system. When you stop the engine the compressed air expands and pushes the fluid out. There is some kind of vacuum pump that Ford mechanics use to expand the air bubble to make it easier to bleed. Being a Chrysler mechanic, I never needed that tool so I don't even know what it looks like.

emma izquierdo

February, 20, 2011 AT 8:21 PM

Thank You for your reply. My husband will be trying that and I'm hopeful it will resolve the problem. Again thanks!

Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right