I NEED TO FIX A PROBLEM WITH THE EMISSION SYSTEM

• kmbrock100
  • 1999 Dodge Dakota

My truck keeps displaying code P1495. I took the battery tray out and looked for the LDP, but there is nothing there, and looks like nothing had ever been there. I bought this truck used in OK, where they do no emissions testing, but I live in Texas and need to get it inspected. Why would I keep getting this code if my truck was not equipped with a Leak Detection System? Is it possible somebody in the past installed an incorrect PCM?

Wednesday, March 14th, 2012 AT 9:03 PM

• saturntech9

What does the emissions label say under the hood?Does it say federal emissions?Just because it was bought or sold in area that doesnt have emissions tests doesnt mean it doesnt emissions equipment. Its going to be a 49 state federal emissions or a 50 state california emissions. Let me know what it says.

Wednesday, March 14th, 2012 AT 9:17 PM
  • saturntech9

Also what size engine do you have in the truck?

Wednesday, March 14th, 2012 AT 9:18 PM
  • saturntech9

It says the solenoid is on a bracket mounted to the right front inner fender near the battery.

Wednesday, March 14th, 2012 AT 9:26 PM
  • kmbrock100

It is a 3.9 liter v6. The sticker just says it complies with all epa requirements, does not mention California or Federal. My manual says the ldp is under the battery tray, but it also says not all 99 Dakotas have it. I know it has the recirculation system, it all apperas to be intact. The code is supposed to be for the the ldp curcuit not working, could be wiring or solenoid also

Wednesday, March 14th, 2012 AT 11:41 PM
  • saturntech9

My info says its mounted to the inner fender liner is it there?Did you just buy the truck?Was the light and code there ever since you bought the truck?

Wednesday, March 14th, 2012 AT 11:47 PM
  • kmbrock100

It is not anywhere on the left inner fender, under the battery or otherwise, there are no hoses leading there or wiring or anything. The PCM is on the right side, but I dont see it there either. I just bought the truck, so the check engine light could have been on for years. A lot of drivers there ignore the light because the state does not check emissions. In Texas, I cannot get inspection with a code. It pops on seconds after it is started. I wondered if somebody got a PCM at a junkyard that is not the correct one. I have traced hoses and wiring and it seems ok. Twice code 1494 appeared along with the 1495, but it is for the leak detection pump circuit also. It does not show any signs of tampering anywhere on the system. My repair manual is a Haynes for 97-99 Dakota, I know they are not always the best.

Thursday, March 15th, 2012 AT 12:10 AM
  • saturntech9

Have you looked on the right inner fender liner thats where my mitchell ondemand says it is.

Thursday, March 15th, 2012 AT 12:46 AM
  • kmbrock100

I will check again on the inside right fender, maybe I overlooked it. I'll scour the entire engine compartment, maybe it came from a different factory than most and they put it in a different place.I will let you know. Thanks for all your effort.

Thursday, March 15th, 2012 AT 4:04 AM
  • saturntech9

Keep me posted on what you find.

Thursday, March 15th, 2012 AT 4:11 AM
  • kmbrock100

I looked on the right inside fender and the pcm is all that is there, I scoured the entire engine compartment and followed all hoses that I saw and did not find the LDP. I looked under the vehicle and checked around the Charcoal canister and around the gas tank. I checked the diagram under the hood and it shows the the recirculation system, but it did not show any LDP components. What should I do next?

Thursday, March 15th, 2012 AT 6:47 PM