BOTH DOOR LATCHES ARE STUCK AND DOORS WILL NOT CLOSE.

• kathleenminer
  • 1999 Chevrolet Truck

I have a 99 chevy SL1500 three door truck. Last night I opened the passenger door and now it won't close. When I viewed the driver's side door, and pushed the little latch up to try to re-create (and fix) the reason the other door would not latch, I now have two doors that will not close. The little latch did not come back down and I couldn't make it work.

Friday, August 10th, 2012 AT 5:42 PM

• KHLow2008

Which are latch are you refering to?

If the outer handle is staying up, push it down and ensure the locks are unlocked.

Friday, August 10th, 2012 AT 6:02 PM
  • kathleenminer

The outer door handles are fine. And the button inside the door works fine to open and release the door. When pressed, I can hear the mechanism in the door click open or closed. The problem is on the actual door where it engages with the permanent part of the truck - the knob so to speak that the latch is supposed to go around and latch onto when the door closes. The problem is the door mechanism itself will not go onto the "bar" of the truck to latch itself into. It looks like it would go right it, but stops and will not attach. Thank you for helping me.

Friday, August 10th, 2012 AT 6:06 PM
  • KHLow2008

This is going to be tricky.

If any of the linkages are stuck, the latch would not work. Ensure outer handle and inner handle fully returns to position. Pull up locking knob. Pull at outer door handle and ensure the latch is in the fully released position (unlatched), if latch is in closed position, use a screwdriver to release it. Release door handle and retest.

If it fails to work, you would need to remove the door panel to check the linkages.

Friday, August 10th, 2012 AT 6:18 PM
  • kathleenminer

Thank you so much. I drove home last night with the seat belt through the door and hung onto it! I will take your suggestions and try them tonight. Also, do you think some WD40 on the door latch may help? The truck sat all winter in Alaska and I just put a new battery in so I am driving it now. Maybe the doors are just all dried up from a long cold winter?

Friday, August 10th, 2012 AT 6:24 PM
  • KHLow2008

That is possible and some lubrication might work but if that is the case, a more lasting solution should be made. WD40 would oly last so long so a grease spray would be a better idea.

Friday, August 10th, 2012 AT 7:02 PM